Mountain Climbing

"His peace is not the easy, natural peace of the level road. It is the peace of the steep and difficult mountain climb.

Make us Thy mountaineers;...
That undefeated we may climb the hill
As seeing Him who is invisible."
May 14, Edges of His Ways, Amy Carmichael
Hebrews 12:1-2 (New International Version)
1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
This morning I read a little more from "How to Have That Difficult Conversation You've Been Avoiding," by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend. The chapter was all about using the word "should." I've often heard about not beating oneself up with "shoulds" but I never thought about the way I've used it towards others.

The doctor duo said that the word should feels very parental and judging. When someone says, "you should, " people feel that their choices are going away. "Instead," they said, "you want the other person to freely choose to do what you are suggesting, to feel good about it, not forced into it."
The chapter was written about me, I thought. I may not say should, but I think it a lot, and I'm sure it comes through loud and clear.
I left the house, got into my car and began the drive to Huntsville for a meeting. On the way my cell phone rang. It was one of my team with some information and a question. Before I knew it, I could feel myself responding--reacting actually--in should mode--and battling against it valiantly. When we were through, I said, "I was trying hard--how did I do?" My coworker laughed and said, "It was funny--you started to splutter and stammer." Great!
I may just have to ask the people in my life to tell me to, "Assume the Lotus position," when they notice me veering off course--that will make me laugh.
I wonder how my coworkers who took the first part of the course with me are doing...
Revelation 1:5-6 (New International Version)
...To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, 6 and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.

Comments

Leann said…
I use to use "this is what Id do if I were in your shoes".with my girls.they would have a problem and when they got too big for me to fix it for them. that is what Id do.if they used it fine if not fine to.

some times God puts followers and leaders on this earth.and He uses them both.the trick is to find out who is who.

I still dont know who Iam.all I know for sure is Iam a fixer.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family