Adventures in Blogdom

I gasped at the number. One of my blogger friends had just shared the exciting news that visits to his blog had inexplicably tripled in one day. We were both giddy, euphoric and totally gob-smacked!

There is a whole sub-culture in " blogdom." It's like running for an election and waiting to see who votes. We all have one thing in common--we have something to say--but is there anybody out there who wants to listen? Some people don't seem to care--they say it anyway. Blogs are platforms for thoughts and ideas--an ideal form of community for readers and writers.

Many blogs, including my own, have a "site-meter" that tracks the number of visitors as well as details such as the general area visitors are from. When one becomes a "regular," checking in every day or every few days, they are almost like an unseen friend. It's a strange relationship--two sided--the writer and the reader--with nothing in between--unless they leave a comment.

When a regular visitor suddenly stops checking in, I wonder...did they go on vacation?...are they in the hospital?...or did I fail to maintain their interest? If they suddenly come back, I've been known to shout out loud, "Welcome back, Beaumont, Texas!" (or where-ever the visitor is from.) I've prayed for my "blog-ees"--that they would be blessed--(and at this point they are probably thinking that they should be praying for me).

My friend emailed me with the exciting news about his surge in visitors so that I could share in the joy of the moment. He knew I'd understand--and I did. But it's hard sometimes to remember that my worth doesn't rise or fall on the visits to my blog!

For me, writing is part of a daily challenge to hear God's voice, listening for what he wants me to say--then framing ideas and thoughts in words that engage and honour the reader, as they have honoured me by taking time to read. And above all else, I want to honour God.

Psalm 19:14 (New International Version)
14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.



Comments

Belinda, I know will understand when someone talks about addiction. I check my blog numbers all the time too. It's weird to tie your self esteem up in something like a blog. When I write something I like and then no one comments, my whole sense of my ability to write ... no my ability to appraise my writing gets thrown into wack. I have to follow your advice ... it's about the joy of writing and sharing thoughts. Love visiting your blog, it's like sitting down with a friend. Dave Hingsburger
Belinda said…
Well, dear friend with the "sudden surge," I'm glad you drop in to help me with mine!:)

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family