Tantalizing Advertising


By Belinda

When I saw the magazine at the checkout in Sainsbury's, I thought of Brenda. She is a Corrie fan and almost her last words to me as I left Canada were, "Make sure you tell me what's happening on Coronation Street." Since the episodes in Canada are several months behind England, anyone returning holds precious details on upcoming storylines. Helen Worth plays a longstanding character, Gail.

This morning though, it was the "Age-defying beauty secrets" that caught my eye as the magazine lay on the coffee table. "6 easy steps to younger glowing skin." Cool! So I turned to the index and found the article. As usual, the headline overstates the information shared! I fall for it every time. I had to check to see; "Is this 'it?' Do I have the right page?";as I perused an article with no startling "secrets." I am always hopeful. :)

Of course, tantalizing promises sell magazines. Who can blame the publishers? Writing great headlines is a skill. But it got me thinking, "What if God emblazoned his book with similar headlines?" Wow, what great promises would fill the cover--and anyone looking inside would not be disappointed, but would find themselves delving deeper and deeper, and discovering truths that never grow dull. They would find themselves on a journey of valuable reading that would last a lifetime.

But God doesn't choose words to advertise  his treasure. Very scarily, he uses us. Oh, my goodness, yes.  He tells us in the epistles that we are a letter written for people to read about him (sorry, I don't have time to look up the reference at this moment.)

What a daily challenge. How well is he portrayed in my life? How successfully have I moved aside so that he can live and love through me?

People are tired of words, of being preached to. They will, I think, notice and respect a faith lived out. And perhaps they will consider opening the covers of a book that points the way.

Comments

Susan said…
Wow, I've been thinking all along these lines all this week...

God has suddenly expanded my oikos (greek word for the sphere of those I know, associate with, and have some reciprocal influence on) in the past six months and I am finding myself in the midst of a great many people who are not christians - by faith or by culture. It's a wonderful place to be - full of potential to be used of God and yet scary, too. What are they seeing when they look at me? Am I representing Jesus? Am I, as you say, adequately "portraying him in my life"?

The only way we can do that is to get that Living Word INto us... so that we can be that walking advertisement...

Thanks for these thoughts and for doing my Friday post for me today! Greetings from Scotland...
Marilyn said…
Just so you know, the two of you (Belinda and Susan) are absolutely killing me...being WAY over there where I imagine a dream life of accents, rock walls, knitted delights.

But back to my comment about the post....I loved the way it was written. It took me by surprise, how you connected the mag and Brenda's interest in the show to this profound truth which is coming to my attention every time I turn around, much like Susan said. The soapbox has its place, but the Word written ON us and lived out through us speaks so much more powerfully. May God show us how to love those in our spheres!
Theresa said…
Reminds me of the quote "Preach the gospel always. If necessary, use words." St.Francis of Assisi.
Christianity could use a little more walking and a little less talking, if you know what I mean.

I am enjoying your posts about your mom. What a wonderful lady.
Belinda said…
Hey Friends,

God bless each one of you, and Marilyn, yes, it is so wonderful to be here, and Jamie, another member of our cell group, is in Ireland right now. It's cool to all be here together yet apart! )
This is too funny for words, the idea of the Bible cover as designed by the National Enquirer

MAN SWALLOWED BY WHALE: LIVES BY GUTS ALONE

GOD NAMED IN PATERNITY SUIT! WILL MARY SETTLE IN COURT?

BROTHER SWINDLES BROTHER IN DEATHBED SWITCHUP

CRAZY MAN BUILDS BOAT: SKY TURNS GREY

ADAM MARRIES EVE! PERFECT WEDDING OR IS THERE A SNAKE IN THE GRASS?

JOSHUA AND HIS TRUMPET: NEIGHBOURS COMPLAIN ABOUT NOISE

HE WITHOUT SIN THROW THE FIRST STONE JESUS ADVISES: MARY HITS ON FIRST TOSS

GOLD, FRANKINSENCE AND MYRHH: JOSPEH HEARD TO REMARK - WHAT ABOUT A CRIB?

MAN WALKS ON WATER: MIRACLE OR SHOWING OFF - HERE'S THE FACTS, YOU DECIDE

WATER TURNED INTO WINE: LIQUOR BOARD TO INVESTIGATE

OK Belinda and readers, over to you, any other headlines?

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family