Facebook Holdout

Isaiah 43:1 (New International Version)
1 But now, this is what the LORD says—
he who created you, O Jacob,
he who formed you, O Israel:
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.

It was almost a month ago when I received an email saying, "I've added you as a friend on Facebook..."

It came from Brenda, who had accidentally invited everyone in her address book to become her cyber-buddies.

At that point I didn't really even know what Facebook was, but since then I've learned a lot about this social networking phenomenon that's captured the interest and time of a huge percentage of the population--mainly those in their teens and twenties but also a surprising number of seniors, including my dear mother in law who is nearing her eighty first birthday and who is connected with a host of grandchildren. I must say that I was amazed to see her face on Facebook--using the photo she'd had taken for the church directory!

It was only a few months ago that Paul's mum surprised us all by talking about wanting a computer. Of course she needed a desk too, and a chair--and a printer followed in short order. Coached by a fleet of grandchildren for technical support, she was launched into cyber-space and was soon using Google Earth to visit England and the places she grew up. I started sending her my daily blog posts by email and was honoured to discover that she checks her computer late at night for them.

Brenda, who has always needed a good night's sleep, has been waking up tired of late. I suspect that it has something to do with the addictive nature of Facebook and the fact that late at night she's still up connecting with a host of friends. She told me this morning that long past 11 o'clock she could see that her Nana was on-line and when Brenda sent out a message to her cousins claiming that she was her favourite grandchild, Nana "poked" her--a way of nudging someone in Facebook terminology.

I haven't joined Facebook because I'm already email addicted and I'm introverted enough that I don't want the world to know when I'm on-line--but it has brought people and groups together in an impressive way.

Our church has a Facebook group and I've learned more about people in the congregation there than any other way to this point. Because people tend to be transparent and share very personal information--it's caused me to pray for some young people we are connected with.

I thought about Facebook this morning when I read Isaiah 49:16, See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me. Facebook pages have "walls" on which friends can leave messages for you.

How wonderful to read in Isaiah 43:1, I have summoned you by name; you are mine. He has asked us to be his friend and we will never be deleted from his list.

I know that he is always "on-line" and I am on his mind and heart. I may be a Facebook holdout, but I'm glad I'm in his book.

Comments

Leann said…
hi friend.its always nice to come here and be refreshed by the word.and to chat with another believer.life can be lonely if we didnt have our brothers and sisters in the Lord.
I been busy of late doing some house cleaning and being with the kids.

and I havent felt like blogging.so today I will have to catch up.or my friends will think I forgot them.
have a great week,God bless...
Anonymous said…
I too am a facebook holdout. I have no urge to join this community. I've been urged to, but I think there are already to many ways to be connected. I long for the days when a drive in the car meant escape - not the ringing of a cell phone. I remember when just taking the phone of the hook disconnected me from the whole world. So my face won't be in their book ... Rah for occasionally embracing luddite-ism. Dave
Belinda said…
I'm so with you Dave! I actually turned down one of those imitation Blackberries called Treo's--the ones that let you check your email where-ever you are.

I do know many people who love them and find them so handy--but I want to take being connected only so far.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family