Ponderings

By Belinda

I've done a lot of pondering as I approached my latest age milestone. First I had to get my head around the fact that this impossible number applied to me. How is it even possible? But it is! I confess I struggled with it at first, but then I realized what a privilege it is to be here today and healthy.

Lord, I thank you for this, another day of life; a day in which my bones are clothed with flesh, sinew, muscle and nerve, and in which myriad unconscious processes of brain, central nervous and other systems, enable thought and movement. Today I am fully alive, body, soul, and spirit. I rejoice in the gift of life and the One who ordained that I should "be."

I spent some time reflecting on the woman in Proverbs 31. I love all the qualities I see in her, this woman rich in all the things that matter. I care about appearances as much as anybody, I have to be honest, but I care about something else much more:

Proverbs 31:30 (New International Version)
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.


This verse is my heartbeat--to be a woman who fears the Lord; one who reverences him; who puts him above all else and who really believes that his commandments are perfect and true; one who is prompt to obey his voice in the person of the Holy Spirit.

How do I want to live the rest of my life?

On a personal level I am going forward with a determination to keep my spirit uncluttered by negativity. I thought about that today and a little phrase popped into my head to help me--a sort of pledge. I'll share it in case it helps you too.

I refuse to receive; retain; or entertain, negative thoughts.

They are toxic to the soul and I hereby renounce that old habit, one that dogged me more than I care to admit.

And here's a song by Nicole Nordeman: Legacy;the words of which have blessed me, and express my heartbeat, especially these lines:

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy


Comments

Suz said…
What a great post.

I hit the 60 year milestone couple of years ago and I know what you mean about the "impossible number." I kept thinking it was not real. But it is and I am happier now than any other time in my life.

Time does take somethings like outward beauty but it also enhances others like perspective on what the world says in important. I, too, love the Proverbs 31 woman and strive to be like her.

Thank you for your thought provoking post.
Belinda said…
Thank you for your encouraging comment Suz!
mercygraceword said…
Belinda,
We're going to live forever :o)
We had our District retreat a few weeks ago and our theme was Legacy - we used that same song as our kick off, it is beautiful.
And so are you,

Deborah
Belinda said…
Oh, Deborah, what a great song for kicking off your retreat. How cool. Thank you for your kind words too! That makes two of us. :)
Susan said…
"A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones." Proverbs 15:30

You go girl. I've talked to so many people in the last few days who have had "negativity" fingered in them by God of late. I've declared my heart a Negativity Free Zone, too! I'll pray for you if you'll pray for me. And if you should happen to hear me being negative - smack me up the side of the head or something, will ya? :)

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family