The Banqueting Table

Song of Solomon 2:4 (Amplified Bible)
4He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love [for love waved as a protecting and comforting banner over my head when I was near him].

Calm returned to my heart as a big task at work was accomplished today. My shoulders grew lighter and laughter returned to my soul! That felt so good. I could relax and feel like a human being instead of that tense ninny who had to apologize to half a dozen people the next day. I noticed those in my immediate vicinity heaving sighs of relief. Was I really so grim and negative? Yes, I know the answer.

Tonight five of us sat after dinner, discussing the questions in the study we've been doing on the armour of God as described in Ephesians 6. Our focus was the footwear; the shoes of the gospel of peace.

One question was: How did God make peace with you?

Paul's answer gave me much food for thought. He spoke of the symbolic custom of breaking bread in the middle east, and how those tricked into doing so by their enemies knew that once this had occurred, whether knowingly or not, there could be no further hostilities between the parties. He reminded us of Jesus, at the Last Supper, breaking the bread and saying, "This is my body, broken for you." The deep symbolism of that action and those words, sank in. Peace between man and God.

What a banqueting table; what a love feast.

Ephesians 6:15 (Amplified Bible)
15And having shod your feet in preparation [to face the enemy with the firm-footed stability, the promptness, and the readiness produced by the good news] of the Gospel of peace.

Psalm 23:5 (Amplified Bible)
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with [a]oil; my [brimming] cup runs over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family