Loving Obedience

1 John 5:3 (New International Version)
3This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,

"The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

These words, adapted from a poem by Robert Burns, are an apt description of my week--which I spent being busy with many things--most of them unexpected and unplanned.

This morning, for the first time--at work when I'd planned to be off and preparing to speak somewhere on Sunday--I felt a twinge of panic rising in my stomach. I called one of my team, saying that I needed to pass the baton and go home. Immediately, capable hands took over and not only that--I knew that several people would be praying for me. Relief flowed, soothing my soul--as refreshing as cool waves lapping over my feet on a hot summer beach.

I thanked God, as I do many times each week, for the way our work team functions--supporting one another lovingly and gladly. We never feel alone in any situation and we flow together in a synchronized way.

Later, in a grocery store without a shopping list--just not that organized this week--I found myself spotting things and thinking, "Paul would like," this or that. Raisin tea biscuits, Devon custard and the less healthy peanut butter (not the all natural kind I prefer) found their way into the cart. I anticipated his pleasure at these small treats.

I thought about laying down our lives and self interest for each other and God--out of love. When you love someone it isn't a burdensome, but a joyous thing to please them.

"His commandments are not burdensome"

Romans 13:10 (New International Version)
10Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family