A Student's Stance

By Belinda

I have a paradox to share today. Thank you in advance for being so patient with my endless epiphanies.:)

As I continue to work on carrying out my choice to eschew negative thoughts and words, I find that silencing my mind and being still; not raising my heart or voice against another, creates mental and spiritual space to learn.

Negativity and criticism come from a place of pride; listening and learning from a place of humility.

It is in observing and listening that learning takes place and too many words and predetermined opinions are blockages to the education others have to offer.

The paradox is this: I thought that age was a place of sharing the great wisdom accumulated with many years. Instead I realize more than ever how much there is to learn.

We joke about young people's refuting of parental wisdom and how much parents apparently learn by the time their teenagers grow into their twenties. The young person recognizes that they didn't have all the answers and their parents knew a few things of worth, after all. Well, elders can be guilty of that arrogance too--secretly thinking that we are the fount of much wisdom. I don't want to spend the rest of my life like that.

I want to shed the pride that speaks before listening; to take a student's stance in every interaction.

It won't be easy; old habits die hard and any readers who are friends and who have real, face to face conversations with me, feel free to tell me know I am doing!

James 1:19 (Amplified Bible)
19Understand [this], my beloved brethren. Let every man be quick to hear [a ready listener], slow to speak, slow to take offense and to get angry.
Proverbs 8:6-11 (New International Version)
6 Listen, for I have worthy things to say;
I open my lips to speak what is right.

7 My mouth speaks what is true,
for my lips detest wickedness.

8 All the words of my mouth are just;
none of them is crooked or perverse.

9 To the discerning all of them are right;
they are faultless to those who have knowledge.

10 Choose my instruction instead of silver,
knowledge rather than choice gold,

11 for wisdom is more precious than rubies,
and nothing you desire can compare with her.

Comments

As the oldest employee of the agency where I work, I admit to discovering that young people are a little brighter than I first thought. They come in to my office with ideas that cast shadows as they are light by the light in their eyes. They have energy, enthusiasm and purpose. They think I'm wise when I say things like, 'sure go ahead'. I don't contradict them, I just give them a knowing smile.
Belinda said…
Oh, Dave, since writing this yesterday, I am amazed at how these thoughts are governing my conversations, sometimes in retrospect, i.e. "Aaahrgh, I know how I could have done better in THAT conversation." I love how we never stop learning. I love that we can be better--always.
Marilyn said…
You have spoken a great truth here.

p.s. your endless epiphanies are what we come here for!

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family