Living on Purpose

By Belinda

A drizzly chill descended overnight and after weeks of unseasonably warm mornings, I left the house snuggled into my black Marks and Sparks raincoat. 

Juggling my bulging black briefcase; green zippered thermal lunch bag; purse, and open umbrella, I fumbled for my car keys, while wishing for one more set of hands. I have a habit of taking inordinate number of things in bags with me; arriving at my office as though I'm moving in for a week.

This morning though, I had appointments in a town on the outskirts of the city, and soon my car joined the other vehicles on Highway 400 southbound, trickling towards the city like rivulets in an ever cascading waterfall.

Since my rivulet was moving very slowly, I thought about how several of my friends seem to be rising up lately to claim a life lived on purpose.

I've written a lot here lately about personal change, but I have other friends who are making changes too--some of them radical. There are friends working on health and fitness so that they go into their next decade--forties, fifties or sixties; with vitality. One friend who turned fifty last year, just bought a snazzy motorbike and has lost almost fifty pounds of the eighty she wants to lose in total. Another couple of friends have joined a gym and are firming up and trimming down.
Why not go claim your secret dreams? Why not do something about them? I love being part of a generation that is redefining aging. We are not going down easy. We may go gracefully--but easy; no.

What time we have here is precious; a limited commodity, no matter how long we live. Perhaps that becomes more obvious as we pass certain milestones.

In the afternoon I participated in an environmental assessment for an area where our agency supports people in their own home. To my amazement, part of the discussion involved a road network to be built in the year 2031. A strange feeling came over me as I projected forward to that date. I will be 81 by then.

The bright young consultants and planners seeking input, represented the generation that will carry the torch forward beyond then. My mortality came into sharper focus than ever. I don't want to miss one thing that God might have planned for me by not cooperating with him, listening to him, and being prepared by him.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (New Living Translation)

24 Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! 25 All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. 26 So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. 27 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.

Comments

Olson Family said…
Oh Belinda! What an Encourager you are!! To this post, I am shouting out "Amen and Amen, Sister!" We ARE in a race! I love how you remind me to keep my heart open to those "secret dreams," the ones that I sometimes tuck away (despairingly), but are the exact ones I must pursue, in faith, believing that God is working out His purposes in my life. Thank you for your faithfulness! I am strengthened by your words.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family