Ponder the Beautiful

I drove into the winding driveway banked with snow on either side. There were lights on the pond as rosy-cheeked children in rainbow colours glided on silver blades. Some dads were feeding wood to the red-bricked oven on the farthest side of the pond and a string of lights went from tree to the outdoor fire place. Snow covered hardwood trees, silhouetted in the winter evening, provided a backdrop for the picture before me. If I were a painter, I would be compelled to capture this scene on canvas. I allowed my eyes to feast, desiring it to pour into my soul. I enjoyed the outdoorsy fragrance, coupled with the burning wood and was warmed and reminded of the beauty of sound I experienced earlier in the day.

I closed my eyes and I could still hear the lovely music of the violin - beautiful renditions of Mozart, Bach, Brahms,Beethoven, Schumann, Suzuki, played by various children at my eldest daughter's violin recital. The performance was delightful and Hannah's teacher had thrown in some pianists as well. We listened to a spirited duet, Mambo and Cha Cha, as well as a refined elegant piece, Beethoven's Sonatina in G+. I have heard it said that, "Instrumental music bypasses the brain and goes right to the soul."

My soul is touched by the beautiful concert I heard, as it is touched by the natural winter evening scene which delighted my eyes.

So much beauty in this world. The beauty we see around us, in others, and in ourselves produces such joy.

Lord, I want Your joy to bubble up from my soul and flow all around me, washing away the ugliness of sin and allowing me to see myself and all humanity through joy-coloured glasses.

When things on this earth aren't going the way I'd like, when I am not content in spite of my efforts, may I find rest in you. May I lay down self and look into the radiant beauty of your face.

And your word speaks truth into my troubles,

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your forbearing spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things. Philippians 4:4-8 NASV

Comments

Belinda said…
Dear Joyful Fox,
You painted such a picture with your words that I was there with you, out in the chill of the evening, with the smell of the woodsmoke, the crackling of the fire!

Thank you. I loved reading about the violin recital. It must have been beautiful.
Angcat said…
Beautiful, just beautiful!
The images were vivid to all the senses.
And I loved the idea of "joy colored glasses".
:-)

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family