Life With God

Matthew 26:42 (New International Version)
42"...may your will be done."


Jeremiah 10:23 (New International Version)
23 I know, O LORD, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps.


"This feels like you O Lord, and I feel a rising sense of excitement."

I journaled these words recently as a new door cracked open in my life. I had gone to bed the night before, knowing that the thing I was considering was impossible without God.

I woke up excited, knowing that yes, without God it would be impossible, but I am not without God. He is with me.

There are some things that I do automatically when an opportunity arises and I found myself reflecting on them this morning.

1. I really pay attention to my basic physical reaction. Often my body tells me before my mind does, if a step is a good one for me. If my stomach is in a knot and I feel panic rising in my throat, I listen and don't go further. On the other hand--my breath being taken away and my palms sweating are not negative--in fact they are often indicators of a God adventure about to begin. Being stretched can be scary but the alternative is stagnation.

2. I sleep on it, giving the Holy Spirit some time with my heart. Sometimes I wake up thinking, "What was I thinking?" about a thought or idea that seemed so brilliant and exciting the day before.

3. Then I ask input of my family, especially Paul--and a few close friends. My friend Irene would call this, flying something up the flag pole and "seeing who salutes it." This can be scary. If no-one says, "Are you crazy?" that's a good sign.

4. I ask myself it what I am considering is in line with who I am--the fibre of my being--and with the gifts and potentialities that God gave me. I don't worry about whether I have ever done it before--or whether I am qualified--these things seem of little consequence to God.

That's about it for my decision making process. I've talked to others who worry more about understanding God's guidance in their lives. But I believe that God is very able to make it clear if I'm headed in the wrong direction.

Life with God is an incredible adventure for those who are up for it--and I don't want to miss a single moment.

Isaiah 26:3 (New International Version)
3 You will keep in perfect peace

him whose mind is steadfast,
because he trusts in you.


Comments

Brenda said…
Belinda, this is the most simple way of getting guidance that I've ever heard and it rings true to me. Thanks for sharing it. Do we get to hear about what was behind the door? My family tells me that I am way too curious so don't feel like to have to answer me. I won't be hurt.
Belinda said…
Hi Brenda,
This is what was behind that door; an opportunity to do a monthly podcast. First I had to ask what a podcast was--and when I found out--that's when the sweaty palms and the breathlessness occured!

I write a monthly column for Maranatha News, called Canadian Authors--you can see the columns by clicking on the link to Maranatha News on my blog. I love conducting the interviews--getting to know the writers--and then painting a word picture of them. This would be a little different--it would be a 15-20 minute on-line interview that people could listen to over the internet.

It didn't escape me that the interview would be the culmination of a lot of behind the scenes work--which was the thing that I really needed to pray about. How could I possibly do this?

I still don't know how I will do it, but I'm up for it and very excited. I love people--I love listening to their stories, putting them at ease, getting them to talk (which I think I am only good at because that way I don't have to talk myself!) and its in an area that I love--writing and writers are my favourite things on earth.

Thanks for being interested! :)
Anonymous said…
Wow, a podcast, though I've only heard of them, never heard them, I'm totally impressed and totally thrilled for you!! Awesome!

Dave Hingburger

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family