Standing Up to Scrutiny 2

Proverbs 20:27 (New Living Translation)
27 The Lord’s light penetrates the human spirit,
exposing every hidden motive.

Yesterday I wrote about the sometimes merciless scrutiny of teenagers, but I've been thinking about a different kind of scrutiny today--the scrutiny of the Holy Spirit. This evening's verses in the Daily Light on the Daily Path fit in with this so well (there is a link to the Daily Light online on Whateverhesays, where the verses can be read in full).

Far from merciless, the scrutiny of the Holy Spirit is gentle--but relentless. He probes the heart and opens our eyes--prodding, and convicting. How different from the condemnation that flows from human beings at times. Our judgement of one another--and ourselves is so harsh. God shows us his standard and the gulf that lies between us and it--but doesn't leave us there. He offers to shape the heart that is offered up to him, into a heart that loves the things that he loves.

He's working in a certain area of my life right now, digging up the soil of my heart in an area that he's been prodding me about for some time. The discipline that he's calling me to would have chafed and felt like a joyless obedience if I was doing this, but with his Spirit changing me and shaping me--I feel only joy at another kingdom of my heart falling under his Kingship.

Psalm 139:23-24 (New Living Translation)
test me and know my anxious thoughts. 24 Point out anything in me that offends you,
and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family