On Riches

1 Timothy 6:17 (New International Version)

17Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.

Paul writes to Timothy, "Command those who are rich in this present world..." These words are a reminder that our stay here is temporary.

I found some notes I'd made when I read these verses at some other time. I had written, "Our concern should be whether we are rich in the world to come." This sounds categorical in the cold light of day! How easy to write and how hard to do.

Instructions follow, in verses 18-19, for ways to be rich in the world to come: being rich in good deeds, being generous, willing to share.

1 Timothy 6:18-19 (New International Version)

18Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. 19 In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

Read Psalm 49 for more wisdom on the topic of riches, and also Ecclesiastes 5:10-20

Prayer: Lord, I confess that I have much to learn about handling finances in a godly way. We in North America are privileged with wealth in comparison to most of the world. Help me to use all that you give as your word commands--to do good and share. Forgive me for being so far from your standard of goodness in this. Please help me to reflect your heart more fully.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family