Debate Matters

By Belinda

Phew! I must confess that it feels good to shake off those busy boxer short hearts that have been up on the blog for the past 24 hours. I was beginning to feel as though I had some kind of rash. :)

Some of the comments yesterday made me think of this mug. I love it. Brenda was given it recently after helping with the debate club at St. Andrew’s College the school where she works.

The shape and feel of the mug are as pleasing as are the colours--bright red and white. But I really love the clever slogan, "Debate Matters." because it does, doesn't it?

As Ang said in her comment on yesterday's post, "Iron sharpens iron," and so one friend sharpens another.

I haven't mastered the art of debating a point without caring so much about it that I don't listen to the other viewpoint well. Sometimes when I have most to say I don't say anything at all for fear of that. I'm just trying hard to listen and not be a "bulldozer."

Oddly I have found that it is when we don't even realize it that we have the most impact on other's thinking. It isn't always in the debate we "won;" or in the clever argument that made our point, but in the power of influence. That is a little scary because it is so uncontrollable. Anything you say or do can be something that speaks to someone. But I think that means we should take care of what we say and how we live.
 Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift.
 Don't grieve God. Don't break his heart. His Holy Spirit, moving and breathing in you, is the most intimate part of your life, making you fit for himself. Don't take such a gift for granted.
 Make a clean break with all cutting, backbiting, profane talk. Be gentle with one another, sensitive. Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave you. (Ephesians 4:29-32, The Message)

Comments

Susan said…
Debate can't always be pretty - there's almost always some kind of a mess where passion is involved - and it can be painful in the middle of it when both parties feel like they are losing, but then if pursued to the end - not just to the heart of the matter, but the heart of the other person - it is so worth it... It brings unity, a treasure of far more worth than just agreement...

Blessed is the one who finds a friend, not who happens to be just like them, or who they can make into someone just like them, but who will stick it out and talk it through until the issue doesn't matter so much anymore... Because debate really doesn't matter, does it, when you're talking heart-to-heart. <3
Lizzie said…
I wish that people really did agree to disagree. Unfortunately we carry around the scars from our battles. They blind us to the perspective that each side has to share.
I knew that I was an adult, a fully grown human being, when I realized that two people can have opposing views and both be right. I spent too much of my youth, too much of my energy, so fearful that I was wrong that I was desperate to prove to others that they needed to agree with me. I didn't need to prove them wrong, I needed them to prove me right ... if that makes sense. Now, I'm totally cool with holding a different point of view than others. How wonderful it is to relax into adulthood.
Belinda said…
As always, the comments make me think even deeper about the topic! Thank you all so much for responding from your hearts.

When I am in "bulldozer" mode (not so often these days thank you God,) I often realize afterwards that there was something more that I wasn't even aware of, attached in the form of emotion, to what I was debating, (crazy person that I am.)

Lizzie, hang in and don't give up. What you said is so true and it takes courage to stick with it in any relationship.

Dave, I say, "Amen" brother and friend. Adulthood is not chronological! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family