Fool's Gold

2 Corinthians 4:18 (New International Version)
18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Curled up beneath a cosy blanket in a wing-backed chair, in the early morning, I listened to the waves of rain pelting the windows and roof, while meditating on the beauty and perfection of God, who made this earth and incredible universe.

I thought of how he demonstrated his love for us in servanthood, sacrifice and humility.

I thanked God that today I am here. Hard though it is for me to imagine, there was a time when I wasn't, and there will be a time when I am not any longer.

Today though, I am here, and I treasure being alive, enjoying all that he has made and ready to be what and whom he planned that I should be.

One night recently, I held Mum's hand and said, "This life is not what it's all about really, is it?" We were so aware in those moments of spiritual intimacy, of the transience of life. We understood that this is just a training ground for something more; so much more than we can imagine.

When I am no longer here, I only pray that I have been fully present in all the ways he intended: as mother, daughter, wife and friend, and in the other roles he calls me to.

I pray that I found and filled, the place uniquely fitted for me. I pray that I did not miss too many of the things he meant for me to do, due to being distracted by the dazzle of fool's gold.

Psalm 39:6 (New International Version)
6 Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro:
He bustles about, but only in vain;
he heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it.

Colossians 3:2 (New International Version)
2Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things

Matthew 6:19-21 (New International Version)
Treasures in Heaven
19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Comments

Being fully present in this life is difficult. There are so many distractions. There are so many 'entertainments'. There are so many interuptions. But I, too, want to be fully here and fully alive. I try to be alert to the world around me. Every moment seems a gift. Like you and your attempt to fulfill the 'Belinda tasks' that were made for 'Belinda hands' ... I struggle with being the Dave, made.
Deidra said…
I always say that I don't want to get to Heaven and find out that I missed the point while I was living here on Earth. I don't want to have been distracted by fool's gold and all else that glitters. I was thinking about this again on Sunday and I realized in my soul that when I get to Heaven, I really won't be concerned with what happened here on Earth. I'll be so overwhelmed by being face-to-face with my Father that all of this will fall away from memory. But I will leave others behind here until it's their turn to make that journey and I pray the legacy I'm leaving for them is sweet, and that it makes God look good.
Belinda said…
Amen friends! I loved your rounding out of the message God gave me for today.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family