The Sword

I was at Becca's soccer game the other night. It was a little oasis for me, Daddy home with the boys and me on the bench alone, watching...and to my surprise listening.
"You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You; because he trusts in You"(Is 26:3 NKJV).
Is that You Lord?
The voice was quiet, but a firm prompt to listen. Then the prompt took shape as I watched the game. The children were running hither and yon, kicking the ball like mad, dashing to the next position and then the ball came at them again. The field seemed full of shots, in every direction, as two games were played at separate ends. It could be overwhelming to the onlooker, or the player, if you weren't prepared.
It felt like my life...tested, tempted, attacked from every angle, like the enemy was using me for target practice. Yet in this quiet place on the bench, I heard His voice again, "Do you trust Me?"

Yes Jesus.

"I will lift up mine eyes to the hills from whence cometh my help". Psalm121:1 KJV (read the whole Psalm, it's...awesome!)

...when the kids are fighting..."I will lift up mine eyes.."
...when there's strife in my marriage..."I will lift up mine eyes..."
...when temptation sets itself in my path..."I will lift up mine eyes..."


I think I'm getting it.
"We are hard pressed on every side, yet not crushed, we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed..." 2 Corinthians 4:8-9NKJV

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13 NKJV

For the Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword...(Heb 4:12)
and is alive and active in me. Will I use it?

When I read the Word, am I seeking comfort, or maybe a lesson, earnestly asking God to reveal His heart (which are all good things) or do I pick it up and use it as a sword, as Jesus did in the desert.
God and I meet in the bathroom a lot...one of the only quiet places in my home, yes with a lock on the door. I was tired after a long night with a restless boy, a busy day ahead, so I was praying "please God help me today, give me the strength to be gracious, patient..", all that stuff. But then it began to rise up in me; I CAN do all things through Christ who strengthens me, In my weakness You are strong, I cast all my cares on You, my Jesus, for You care for me (WOW), I come to You for I am weary and heavy laden and You have promised rest for my soul, I want Your yoke, for it is easy and Your burden is light, I will learn of you for you are gentle and humble in heart and I will find rest for my soul, I will be anxious about nothing... (Phil 4:13, 2 Cor 12:9, 2 Peter 5:7, Matt 11:28-30, Phil 4:6 all paraphrased from the NKJV).
It began to pour out and Yes and Amen and I was now positioned in His strength and victory because of His Word! Hallelujah!

We had a great day, and it wasn't until about 9pm at a scrapbooking night that I started to droop and remembered I'd been up on and off since 2:30am.
Thank You my Lord and my God. You are faithful!!!

Comments

Belinda said…
Oh, I remember those days of precious bathroom sanctuary times. Often there would be knocks on the door even then! But I turned around and now they are 36 and 38years old! The years fly by so fast.

Yes, he is faithful. Faithful and true--all through the years.
Susan said…
What a perfectly practical illustration of "how" to do it... very encouraging! I'm packing my sword today as I leave my sanctuary...
Joyful Fox said…
Hi Angcat

Thanks for the encouraging words and reminder to listen. We've had another sick child and I have been up on and off for two nights, coming out of an extremely busy week end.

It seems like it never ends and yet in your "sword" blog, the reminder to listen, to hear His words in this domestic chaos, that He is right where we are...in Him are promises for every day, if we can live through Him, not ourselves.

Thanks for you encouragement at this mid-day time.
Anonymous said…
ITA WHAT i NEEDED TO HEAR TODAY, THANK YOU AND GOF BLESS YOU FOR SHARING THAT. AMEN AND AMEN

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family