Invitation Accepted

Matthew 26
1When Jesus had finished saying all these things, he said to his disciples, 2"As you know, the Passover is two days away—and the Son of Man will be handed over to be crucified."

Matthew recorded these words, but there is no record of the disciples' response.

Perhaps they were busy--arguing about who was the greatest in the kingdom--wondering where they could find food for the next meal--concerned with the petty (the little) things of life--the things that occupy me too.

I wonder if he longed for friends in whom he could confide. He confided anyway--although his words so often fell like stones that didn't meet their targets.

I don't want to be like that--distracted by minutia, but I am...I am.

Jesus is waiting for me as he waited for the disciples--waiting for me to slow down and listen. I want to receive the gift he holds out to me--the gift of intimate fellowship--a life lived in communion with him.

I've found myself thinking this week of the words of this beautiful song...Sweet Hour of Prayer. It speaks of the invitation to sweet communion that Jesus offers.

Sweet Hour of Prayer

William Walford, 1845
Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer, that calls me from a world of care,
And bids me at my Father's throne make all my wants and wishes known;
In seasons of distress and grief, my soul has often found relief,
And oft escaped the tempter's snare, by thy return, sweet hour of prayer.

Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer, thy wings shall my petition bear,
To Him whose truth and faithfulness engage the waiting soul to bless;
And since He bids me seek His face, believe His word and trust His grace,
I'll cast on Him my every care, and wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer.

Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer, may I thy consolation share,
Till, from Mount Pisgah's lofty height I view my home, and take my flight:
This robe of flesh I'll drop and rise to seize the everlasting prize;
And shout, while passing through the air, farewell, farewell, sweet hour of prayer.

Comments

mi*chelle said…
SH of P is a good one!
I have been out of the blogging world for a little while due to moving, but I hope I'm back in the swing of things. I changed the look of my two blogs today, and then I browsed some others...and poof! There was your blog looking just like mine!! :) Good taste!

Happy Resurrection weekend!

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family