His Eye is on the Sparrow

Her van was ten years old and it had seen better days. Between monthly payments, and oil changes, she was spending $1,000 a month and then there were repairs. There's a critical point in the life of a vehicle, when you suspect it's becoming a black hole into which money vanishes. The van was there!

Barb was a single mom of two children--one of them,Erica, had spina bifida--a bright spirited little girl who used a wheelchair. Being a student nurse in her fourth year of studies with one more to go, every penny was needed but Barb asked her mechanic if he'd seen any cars that might be within her means and suitable for her needs.

The mechanic said that he did have a Honda Accord. It was $3,000--but a lady was coming to see it. "That's okay," said Barb, "If she has the money, you should sell it to her." The other woman was sending a friend to look at the car before she bought it. She had $2,500 to put down as a deposit. Barb also went to see it--on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday! She took Erica to see it with her wheelchair. She was used to getting the wheelchair into the van, which had a sliding door, but she said, "If this is God's will, I'll be able to get her in." Amazingly, she found that she could.

She said to a friend, "I don't want to buy this car without God. If this car is for me, I'm asking him to show that by providing the money." Barb knew that if she was going to get the car, God would have to provide the money by the next night--Thursday evening.

On Wednesday night she went home and started going through the mail. There were three envelopes--one was a letter from York University, another was a letter about money owed on her student loan and the third was to let her know that she had received a bursary of $450. The letter suggested going to the website where she'd be able to say thanks. When she did, in the account she found not $450--but $3000!

Barb told her mechanic, but because it still would take her a few days to get the money, she said, "If you need the money, you can still sell the car to the lady who was looking at it."

"No," he said, "I think this car's yours."

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Civilla Martin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family