Tears from a Child

For the past 2 years I have taught a class of kindergarten aged children at a club run out of our church on Friday nights. I took over the class after a year of some difficult behaviour. I was placed there because I offered the firm, yet loving approach that they needed. It was successful. Two years later, the class has grown and the children - whom I have grown to love - have a structured and enjoyable environment to learn about God. They like the classes, and they like me.

But I wasn't happy, I wasn't where I wanted to be. I desperately wanted to teach the older group (grades 6 & 7), but that place was filled, and I couldn't find anyone who was willing to devote the time and energy to the kindergartners, so I was stuck. And God told me to stay and wait. Sometimes I really hate when He tells me to wait. But I did.

Two weeks ago, the leader of the older group had to quit for medical reasons and the only replacement we could find didn't want that class. She wanted to teach the Kindergartners. My wait was over, and with a nervous stomach I prepared for what I know God has called me to do. Lead the older kids.

My first week, I met the kids (all girls) and we got to know each other. By my second week, I was totally on fire. We got to talking about our Bible Lesson which was about how much God loves them and how special they are.

I closed my Bible and looked at them intently, "So what?". They looked blankly back at me. "So what?' I challenged them, "So why should this matter to you? How does this change your life?". Tentatively, hands rose into the air. "We are special, so we don't need to feel bad?" one girl towards the back offered.

"You are special." I confirmed, " SO special to the God who created the earth and heavens. YOU matter. YOU are valuable. No matter how alone you ever feel, you are never alone. God is always there for you." I continued along these same lines, desperately wanting to convey to these precious little girls how much they matter to God. As I finished, I looked around. Every eye was glued to me. Every girl was soaking in these words. As I looked around at them, one girl caught my eye. She was the only one not focused on me. Her eyes were on the table in front of her, her hands wiping away the tears that my words had brought to her eyes. Tears form the heart of a hurting child. She looked up and I caught her eye and we smiled at each other. That was it. She must have needed to hear that she was loved and special so very much...and now she knows.

I came home full of excitement over the feeling of God with us in our class that night. I spoke to my sister-in-law who used to teach that class. "I just never felt like I connected with them," she confessed. "I always wondered what they got out of the lesson.".

Confirmation. I am where God will use me best. I was used to touch lives. The feeling is indescribable, and totally addictive. I can't wait for Friday nights now. I am humbled and honored to be used as a tool of God. My prayer for everyone who reads this is that you will pray and seek your place in God's plan. That you will find it, and feel what I feel. God may ask you to wait, but it won't be forever.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What an important lesson for all of us. How many times have we taken a job for God not because we have been called to it but because we believe in keeping a program going that we believe is important. I understand what Faith Girl is saying. I have committed my Friday night's to keeping a class going at our church run children's club. I must admit that I was not looking forward to those nights because at the end of the week I was exhausted. I was holding on just to keep the class going because I believed in the program. Last Friday night something miraculous happened. I realized how much I had come to love these children and I rejoiced at seeing them get closer to God through the stories I shared with them. I still do not believe that that is exactly the best place for me to be but God has given me such a measure of grace and enthusiasm for these children that I no longer groan at the thought of going out on Friday night. I now look forward to seeing their joyful faces and feel honoured at the awesome responsibility of sharing God with them. God really understands where we are and helps us to be fruitful where we are while he is busy getting other doors to open for us. I think it all comes down to letting go and letting God. Thank you Faith girl and I'm glad you have stepped through God's open door. You will be a great blessing to these girls as they will be to you.
Anonymous said…
I'm the one who didn't want the older class but was happy to take the 4 & 5 year olds. God was obviously doing something last Friday. While Faith Girl was next door changing lives I was being changed by 8 little lives who laughed at everything I said! (they were suppose to laugh so it was a good thing) I have been out of teaching for a very long time. I've been so busy administrating that I havn't had time to be in the front lines. I have even run away from the front line because I didn't want the resposibilty that it required. Sometimes it is easier to tell others how to do the job instead of doing it yourself. I have been there for the last two years but I've missed something. I think I found it last Friday. I have been telling God that I can't do both (teaching and administrating). If God has gifted us we must obey, even when we think we don't want to. It's kind of like eating spinach. I have always hated spinach but my mother still forces me to try it (I'm a 33 year old mother of 4!) Well, it took awhile but I just discovered I like spinach! Turns out I like teaching as well!
Brenda B said…
Wow! All I can say is WOW! I feel like I had church this morning! Thanks Faithgirl. I feel energized to meet God today where He would have me be and encouraged that when i do I can have a spirit of expectation.....WOW! To everyone that reads Whatever He Says, isn't this what it's all about. Being encouraged to do Whatever He says.
love you all, Brenda
Leann said…
I have four grandkids.and when each came along the Lord helped me lift them up and give them to Him.

I did all I could to teach them about my best friend Jesus.and what he did for us.I told them God loves them and has a plan for their lives.and I helped each one say the sinners prayer and recieve Jesus as savoir and Lord.and watched as he came into their lives.
I was saved at the age of 19.but my grandkids came in very young.one was 2,one 5,one 3,and one 3and a half.
now some may say that is to young and they dont know what their doing.
to that I say O yes they did!!I asked them if they remembered and they said yes grandma its when I recieved Jesus, so they knew.
after all Jesus said "let the little children come unto me".
its never too young to start to teach kids about Jesus.it says in the word.
"bring up a {cild}in the way he should go,and when he is old he will not depart form it.
"what way?"
Jesus said"I am the way, the truth,the and the life,no man comes to the father but by me".
its so hard for teens now days.
the world is a unsafe place.

the devil is trying to harm and steal the kids with all kinds of things.we need to step up and stand in front of every child we know and say"no you dont devil, you cant have any of them!!!
God bless you and give you all you need to reach these kids.be sure to get them their tickit to heaven before they leave your class.
have a salvation prayer for those who want to recieve Jesus.
you never know what soul you will save by doing it.
I sat in sunday school classes and church and no one told me I needed to ask Jesus into my heart.He dont come in just cause you sit in a church or sunday school.
and the sad thing is the devil knows that and uses it.
so be sure the ones God put in your hands are saved before they leave your hands.
I will keep you in my prayers.God bless you.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family