Habits

I once read a collection of poems in a looseleaf binder, written by a Jewish man named Michael Myers. I often wonder who has them now, and wish I could reread them for the wisdom they contained, but I do have two of them at least and here is one that I came across recently. So much truth! My copy is handwritten, hard to read, and the line breaks are hard to decipher. Forgive me if I got some of them wrong, and in spite of that may the thoughts in the poem bless!

We form our habits along life's way
And all our habits grow a little stronger every day
We do things unconsciously, mere creatures of routine
The force of habit turns us into a human machine
But there are mental habits, subtle workings of the mind
For good or evil our thoughts have power, they may be cruel or kind
And if things go against us people blame or criticize
From force of habit we flare up, and angry words arise
Rebellious and resentful of the real and fancied thrust
If we only could meet it with a calm and patient trust
It's just a habit of the mind we have got into complaining, don't we do it every day? 
Oh, good God give us quiet hearts and may we enter the loving and the righteous way
 In times of stress and strain instead of spite and censure may our words go out to bless
And may we form the habit of expressing happiness


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family