A Heart to Obey

By Belinda

Deuteronomy 5:10 (New Living Translation)
10 But I lavish unfailing love for a thousand generations on those who love me and obey my commands.
I have been back from England less than a week, but it feels as though I plunged at full speed into life in back in Canada without skipping a beat. Part of my heart got left behind though, and I find my thoughts drifting back to what I know Mum and Rob will be doing as each moment passes, glancing at the clock, adding five hours, and imagining Mum asleep already in her bed, or watching a favourite murder mystery.

And on Saturday, this past weekend, as I went about my Saturday chores, I thought about what I was doing just a week ago.

In the afternoon, with my little newly tamed, four legged friend, Bruce, I had set out for a longish walk. I had truly fallen in love with that little creature by then, and I could tell he loved me, too. He trotted along by my side, doing so well at being relatively civilized and occasionally nudging my leg affectionately with his cold, wet nose; while I, for my part, lavished him with frequent and enthusiastic praise for being "Such a good boy!"

We followed a path to the top of one of the hills that surround the village. Noisily bleating sheep dotted the fields and the wind that sang in the treetops, carried the fragrance of hawthorne and lilac blossom.

Coming towards us, across the fields from the opposite direction, was a crowd of hikers. Bruce and I turned around to go back down the hill, while they followed. Bruce's many stops to sniff delectable smells, meant that they were almost upon us when a beautiful fox, white-tipped tail flying out behind him, ran across the path a little further down the hill disappearing through a hedge and into a field.

That was all too much for Bruce, who completely forgot his manners. Surrounded now by the hikers, I tried to hang on to a highly excited, small but powerful animal, who wanted to chase the fox. He had to settle for rolling on the ground to try and apply the fox scent to himself.

Later, we caught up again with the hikers, in the churchyard.

They all looked to be very fit, although they were all gray haired and in their seventies or eighties.

I said hello to them and asked how far they were walking.

"Oh, I reckon by the end of today we shall have done 9 miles," said one woman.

I was in awe. I had nearly died earlier that week after an hour and a half walk!

"Yes, nuts isn't it?" said one of the men, "But we do it two or three times a week, and you get used to it."

They were great role models for how to age with vitality!

Back at home in Canada, since returning I have already had lots of walks with Molson and I notice how different he feels on the leash, compared to Bruce. I notice other differences too. I'm amazed at how intimate a relationship a dog and human can have and my relationship with both dogs is different because their personalities are so different.

I think about my relationship with God and as I walk I think about the many parallels I see in my walk with him. More on that tomorrow!

Psalm 32:8-9 (New International Version)

8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will counsel you and watch over you.
9 Do not be like the horse or the mule,
which have no understanding
but must be controlled by bit and bridle
or they will not come to you.

Comments

Marilyn Yocum said…
What a marvelous photo!
I don't want God to have to use a bit or brindle on me. I wonder about times He may have needed to and did, when gentle nudges weren't enough because I wasn't alert to them.

Bruce needs watching and handling by a strong arm. Molson goes along knowing the steps and pace. Looking forward to your further words on these things!

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family