I Am Resolved

Isaiah 26:8 (New International Version)
8 Yes, LORD, walking in the way of your laws,
we wait for you;
your name and renown
are the desire of our hearts.

In this time between times--between the crazy crunch of Christmas and the unfolding of a new year, I quiet my heart before the One who lives outside of time.

This verse from Isaiah captures and expresses my heart's longing for the year to come. His name and renown is the desire of my heart.

I wrote on Saturday of Matthew Kelly’s rule of the Sacred Hour and how I wanted to build that into my life. One reader left a comment that she would love a Sacred Ten Minutes! God knows where we are in our lives. I remember how I cherished moments when Mr. Dressup or The Friendly Giant were on when our children were small. They were my sacred moments back then. Now I have no good reason why I could not have a Sacred Hour and if I don't, I have to be honest and say that I have chosen other things instead that are literally worth less. I'm working on it friends.

The second of Matthew’s Three Rules for Life that inspired me was that of practicing Sabbath, so I tried that on Sunday. I realize that I have not embraced the Sabbath as the gift that it is. When Jesus said that the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath ,Mark 2:27 he was not just speaking against legalism, but for the gift that God offers us.

The point I "heard" was that it is time for us to re-create; and that can be done by going to church, spending time with family or friends, reading a book or going for a walk--the possibilities are endless.

I thought about how I had allowed my "to do list" to encroach on my Sabbath; my boundaries are fluid. The thought of a real day off was tantalizing so I decided to try it.

Not filling vacant hours with such things as balancing the household budget, or throwing in a load of laundry, took a bit of resisting, but giving myself this permission, felt like being on vacation. Only it was just Sunday.

On Sunday evening I actually lay back in one of our reclining wing backed chairs and finished a book. I went to bed early. Sunday felt like the gift that it is.

Pete was talking to me on Saturday about the preacher Jonathan Edwards’ Resolutions. My resolutions so far this week; to have a Sacred Hour, and to embrace a Sabbath day, seem in comparison, so basic. But I lack them and so I am resolved to build them into my life.

Isaiah 26:8 (New International Version)
8 Yes, LORD, walking in the way of your laws,
we wait for you;
your name and renown
are the desire of our hearts.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love this "time between times," too, and am enjoying reading where it's taking you!
Blessed With 4 said…
This time between time that I am spending with God has brought a real peace in me.
I love that God made the sabbath for man. He knew we would need a rest. I am glad that you took advantage of it and it brought you refreshment. I choose a day (Saturday or Sunday when we go to church) where we just rest and no housework is done. Just to rest in the arms of our Lord Jesus is awesome. Have a blessed day :)
BTW I took advantage of my daughters watching a movie to spend time with the Lord today and I had my sacred 10 minutes and then some :)
Blessings, BJ

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family