Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall

Sometimes as I stand in front of the mirror in our ensuite bathroom with it's earthy, brown tones, I am asked a deeper question in my heart.
As I gaze at my reflection and assess my acceptability, a voice probes past the appearance in the glass to the condition of me, the interior me.

My hair might be styled well, a little flip on the left, and the right tucked behind my ear, my clothes complimenting each other and me, teeth brushed and light make up applied to enhance my finer points. However, the question lingers inside, "How much time have I spent preparing the inner me, the one that reflects the One. Have I groomed the outer and left the heart to hide unattended, undressed. What do my eyes say past the perky smile and mascara? Are they happy eyes, contentment shining because I'm free and I know He's watching me. Are they thankful eyes that will smile knowingly with a secret waiting to be shared of provision, of grace and mercy. Are they loving eyes ready to see the heart of another and make that steady contact."

I gaze upon my mouth, rhubarb coloured lipstick carefully applied. Is the smile real or contrived. Is it a mouth ready to speak words of compassion, gentleness and kindness, or do impatient words and criticisms lurk inside.


I know the One who is posing these questions to me as I ready myself to leave the house, to leave my room.
He is the only One who truly sees past the presentation to the heart of the matter.
And I am comforted that He is still looking, molding, reminding, prompting quietly, for I am His child and it is a privilege to be the clay in His hand. Not always easy, for the changing and the digging deep feels relentless sometimes, yet I am glad He speaks and asks me these questions, for it means I am His.

"The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light, but if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness." Matt. 6:22 NIV

My bathroom assessment seems to be changing. I am challenged to look at the inner me I am taking out to present to others. Sometimes it's not even out of the house, but down the stairs to rambunctious boys and a watching daughter, waiting to see what the new day brings. I trust that God is helping me, molding me into steadiness, filling me so that I can bear fruit from the depths of a relationship with Him.


"Therefore as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." Colossians 2:12 NIV

Comments

Marilyn said…
A marvelous reflection (excuse the pun)!

Those rambunctious boys and watching daughter are the most important audience you'll ever play to and they will see right past hairstyle and makeup to the heart of who you are.

I regularly have as a passenger in my car an 89-year-old woman whose inner life has been severely neglected. Sunshine or rain, she rides with the visor flipped down so she can look at herself in the mirror on the underside. It's all she sees. And that visor....is blocking her view of others.
Angcat said…
Wow Marilyn, your example of the 89 year old woman is a strong reminder to get the mirror out of the way so that we can see others, and to be fashioned (pun intended) in the image of Christ, so others will see Him.
Thanks for these thoughts!
Belinda said…
Yes, Ang, I too, echo Marilyn's sentiments. I loved the image of your watching daughter and the boyish boys, especially since I saw those very dear children just yesterday!

Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family