Life Time

Isaiah 64:4 (New International Version)
4 Since ancient times no one has heard,
no ear has perceived,
no eye has seen any God besides you,
who acts on behalf of those who wait for him.

I've been thinking a lot about time this weekend. It all started on Saturday morning, listening to Fresh Air with Jeff Goodes on CBC radio as I got ready for the day. Jeff's guest that morning, Harold Taylor, said that people have it all wrong when they think about organizing their time. He said that we should really think about spending "life" not "time" because that's what we're really doing--spending our lives.

"Spending life"--that does have a different feel to it than merely "spending time." It was a bit of a wake up call.

I want to spend my life--every minute of it--in a way that leaves me with no regrets--but I struggle to understand how to do that and am thankful for any words of wisdom on the subject.

I visited Harold's web site, http://www.taylorintime.com/ later that day, and realized that I fall into many of the pitfalls he mentions and I probably waste more time--or life--than I would like to think I do. Since it's the most precious commodity I have, I aim to do better.

But another important part of this opened up when I got together with Peter and Sue this evening. Peter read from a book by Andrew Murray, and one line that he read stood out--"God worketh for him that waiteth for him." We can be endlessly busy--but the way of the Kingdom is to be still first, to wait for God.

It seems to me to be the same principle as "tithing," that old fashioned word that means a tenth belongs to God. Just as giving a tenth can feel counterintuitive when there are financial pressures--the real underlying principle is trusting God to meet our needs.

So it is with waiting on God first before plunging into activity--even when it feels as if we must get on with the many tasks that are clamouring for our attention--it's all a matter of trust.

So I will be checking out Harold's web site again, but I want to do better at spending the first part of my day, unhurried and waiting on God. For in that hidden, secret place is strength and direction for the race.

Hebrews 12:13 (New Living Translation)
13 Mark out a straight path for your feet so that those who are weak and lame will not fall but become strong.

Comments

Susan said…
Belinda, if I ever needed to hear a message through one of your posts, it was today. And this is exactly the message I needed to hear. Thank you - again!
Belinda said…
I needed it just as much myself. It was what made me stop this morning to take the time--to just be still, to listen for his heartbeat.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family