Humility Check

1 Samuel 2:3 (New International Version)
3 "Do not keep talking so proudly
or let your mouth speak such arrogance,
for the LORD is a God who knows,
and by him deeds are weighed.

I need no other word to maintain a position of humility than this, "The Lord is a God who knows."

How easy it is to look at people who are struggling--or not--with obvious sin and think of them as different to me.

How like the Pharisee, in the story told in Luke 18:10-14, whom I imagine pulling his robes tightly around himself, as he thanked God that he was not like other men--robbers, evildoers, adulterers, or the tax collector praying with him in the temple.

But when I think about the Lord, who is "a God who knows," I am undone. Suddenly I am the tax collector, who would not even raise his eyes to heaven. And I say with him, "God be merciful to me, a sinner."

Lord, forgive me for forgetting sometimes who I am. Thank you for reminding me today that you know. Make my heart as tender towards others-- compassionate and full of grace as you are.

Psalm 51:6 (New International Version)
6 Surely you desire truth in the inner parts;
you teach me wisdom in the inmost place.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dear Bel(Q)- Isn't it funny how the one thing that can "un-do" us is also one of the things that makes me run into His arms at top speed-He knows:me,He knows:why,He knows:how and when.When no-one else on earth comprehends,He knows.I love Him.Poppy

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family