The Presence of God

Psalm 63:6 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
6 On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night.

The silence of the night hung around me. I was on vacation, alone, and relishing the sheer indulgence of reading or writing as late into the night as I wanted to. Finally, my eyes were getting heavy and it was time to head for the air mattress. I thought I'd try something different and listen to the CD my brother had just given me, on my Walkman as I went to sleep. I loved the music, but something was missing as I went to sleep that night; the conscious awareness of God's Presence. I realized that when my mind is in "the twilight zone," I usually have thoughts of God in my head but that focusing on the music blocked them out. Until then I didn't realize how important it is to me that God is in my thoughts as I drift into sleep, wake during the night or as I slowly stir into wakefulness in the morning, but since then I have been so much more aware of the low level conversation with him that goes on in my head, almost without my realizing it.

Moses understood that the Presence of God was so precious that he wasn't willing to make one step forward without it. God says that he will be in us, with us, never far from any one of us; his Presence will be with us. He is Immanuel, "God with us."

Prayer: Dear Lord, sometimes we are oblivious to the most important things of all. I want to be more aware of your Presence. Be in my thoughts, my words, my touch, my reactions. Make me sensitive to things that block or hinder your Presence in my life. I don't want to go one step forward without it.


Exodus 33:14-15 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
14 The LORD replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."
15 Then Moses said to him, "If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family