Kiddo with Cataracts

By Belinda

I noticed increasing blurriness in my right eye about 6 months ago. I figured I just needed to get my eyes tested at first, but gradually realized it was more than that. Looking through that eye is like looking through a dirty window. I mentioned it to the doctor when I went for my physical in November. He shone a light in the eye and pronounced, "That looks like a cataract."

On one level I was relieved because it could have been much worse but on the other hand, well, I wasn't quite ready for cataracts.

I made an appointment with my ophthalmologist and he confirmed the diagnosis. He said he'd connect me with the surgeon right away.

"Don't I have to wait for it to get to a certain point?" I asked. I had heard about cataracts having to "ripen," like cheese or something.

He laughed at me. "It's pretty bad," he said, "You are a tough woman. This has seriously compromised your life, though you probably don't realize it."

I had my appointment with the eye surgeon and he wants to take very specific measurements (that's good with me!) which means I have to go without the contact lenses that I normally wear for three weeks prior to the test on February 4. This is fine except none of the three pairs of glasses that I own really work very well.  I've been wearing them and they help for distance, but close up work and paperwork is blurry and a strain. I've tried wearing just one contact in the other eye (it has a cataract too, but isn't affected by it yet.) That helps me see fine close up but distance is a blur. Oh my, I am looking forward to May when the surgery will be scheduled.

Meanwhile, I am surviving and trying not to mind the occasional teasing of friends and family and remembering to be grateful that surgery is coming up and excited that I may need no corrective lenses at all for that eye after it is done. Clear vision is something we take for granted when we have it. I will appreciate it so much when I get it again!

But today after several hours of squinting at paperwork and feeling old and tired, it was so nice to come home and find a cheery email from a friend who is younger than me, but with the subject line, "Yo Kiddo!"

Yes, I may have a cataract or two but I am "Kiddo" to somebody and that feels like a good thing right now! Thanks Dave. :)

Comments

Well kiddo, cataracts, I'd say it was time to face aging, but the good thing is, even if you do, you can't really see it.
Belinda said…
Ha ha! Today I did better. Wore my glasses to drive and one contact lens for paperwork. It can be done.:)
Anonymous said…
Dear Bel-Q Well,sometimes you need to know just when to jump off the swing!!

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family