From the Inside Out

By Belinda

On Saturday morning on CBC radio, a psychologist was talking about why we make and break New Years resolutions. If we could make change that easily we would all be slim, fit and healthy.

We get it so wrong when we try hard to change our behaviour from the "outside in." It just doesn't work, but it takes a long time to figure that out.

I've known this theoretically for a long time--in fact my journals record the times when it was particularly clear and I experienced both the helplessness to change and the miracle of God's transformation in an area of my life.

While I've known and experienced it, I haven't lived it consistently or fully understood why it is so important to get this right. But I believe that it is a pivotal truth.

So how do you change from the inside out? I am learning that it is through communion with, and union with, Christ.

We are such a busy culture in the West but relationships take time. God will not be hurried, and learning to slow down and wait is hard. But there is no other way but to wait; to be still; to "waste time" with him.

Acts 1:4-5 (New International Version, ©2010)

4 On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with[a] water, but in a few days you will be baptized with[b] the Holy Spirit.”

The measure of the worth of our public activity for God is the private profound communion we have with him.
Oswald Chambers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family