Now

By Belinda

Now...is fragrant with the scent of baking apple crisp; is gaudy in its colour palette of impossibly overdone mustard yellow; and red and green apple skins against creamy white, crisp flesh.

God seems to be in creative overdrive right now. Our corner of the world looks as though a manic artist daubed splodges of ochre here and there, while saying, "Take that, and that, and how do you like THAT?!"

And the riotous frenzy of fall colours has yet to get started.

Our apple trees outdid themselves this year and are heavy with fruit, as were our pear and plum trees last month. And I am possessed of a sense of solemn duty to use what God gives and to waste as little as possible.

And so, I left my briefcase self behind at the office this afternoon at 5.00 pm and became another person entirely this evening, up to my elbows in apple peel, flour and cinnamon, while I cooked to the classics. The recipe above is the best recipe ever for apple crisp. I thank my friend Susan Power; who gave it to me; every time I make it. It is more like an English apple crumble than a North American apple crisp. I quadrupled the recipe, which meant that I used an entire pound of butter, and peeled 8 pounds of apples to fill 4 casserole dishes heartily. My fingers don't look pretty after all that apple peeling, but my soul is deeply satisfied.

This is my happy "now."

Comments

Wonderful post, ah, I could smell the apple crisp! I think the idea of 'now' is something that we, who focus on the future or dwell in the past have forgotten. I think I might steal this idea for a post some time ...
Belinda said…
Steal away, dear friend.:)
Susan said…
How can it be "stealing" when it's so freely given?

I should have come by to help peel last night.. It's a most therapeutic endeavour. Look how happy it make you! :)
Marilyn said…
Thanks for inspiring me! I'll get the bigger sack of apples at this week's farmer's market.
Theresa said…
Apple crisp with some jazz music playing and our woodstove burning.....heavenly!! I know what I will be doing this weekend(besides my 1-9 shift..LOL. My maiden name was Power, so I am thinking your friend HAS to be a great person!!
Brave Raven said…
I sauced a bushel of tomatoes a couple of weeks ago. There's something about handling those beautiful mason jars that comforts me. It always makes me feel like I'm part of the Proverbs 31 Club. Thanks for the beautiful pictures.
Belinda said…
Sweet inspiration and commisseration dear friends! We should fling open our kitchens to the world; it could do much good. It is deeply grounding just to peel and chop and in the company of friends it is even better.
Julie said…
Funny last weekend at work, a staff came in and said she could smell apple crisp as she came into the house. Alas a few hours later that smell did permeate from the house, being lovingly made by myself and two of the indviduals who lived there. Enjoyed by all
Belinda said…
Julie, fall and apple crisp just go together, don't they? I'm sure the process and the results were a sensory experience from nose to tongue! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family