Burdens and Blessings!

 By Belinda


Posted by Picasa The only burden that comes close to having a ratbag for a mother, is having one that isn't. Ask Brenda! She has carried a burden, that of a mom whom the rest of the world apparantly loves, with varying degrees of dismay or disgust all of her life.

I think she's coming around lately. She just laughs now, which is a great improvement on the gesture I've seen once or twice in the past--the one with the finger in the mouth depicting gagging! :)

Just last week she took her car into our local Honda dealership for service, and as she was giving her name and other details of service required, the older gentleman behind the desk said, "You wouldn't be related to Belinda Burston would you?"

Brenda said, "Oh no, I know where this is going!" which caused the woman behind the desk with him to crack up.

Brenda said that he had an all too familiar glazed look in his eyes as he said how nice I was. I had no idea he knew me as anyone other than the woman with the 11 year old plum coloured Honda that we are nursing along together! :)

Brenda played it to the hilt as only she can, rolling her eyes in a dramatic portrayal of the daughter who will forever walk in the shadow of her beloved mom. Not true; she has more than her own share of sparkle and sunshine but she had fun with it.

I don't know how, but somehow I have the world fooled--all but my team and my near and dear friends and family, who know the truth.

Beneath our joking, though, lies a mutual love that grows with every year, and with my 60th birthday approaching, Brenda decided that she wanted to buy me a very special family ring. She got an idea of the style that I would love--simple, square cut stones set into a plain band, and she's been looking for weeks for: The Ring.

Tonight she and Tippy went out together to the mall, for some "Tippy and Mommy time" and she called from a jewelery store, excited as all get out. The Ring had been found! She wanted to know, would I prefer white or yellow gold?

She brought home a flyer from the store so that I could see the beautiful ring. Her delight in doing this, worth more than the finest ring money could buy.

The woman who was serving her in the jewelery store asked, "Where can I get a daughter like you?"

And Brenda said, "Let me tell you about my mother."

Comments

brenda Adams said…
I LOVE this post MOM!! Perfect!!!
Susan said…
Too funny!
Nice?

"but cha are Blanche, char'

50 bonus point for anyone who gets the reference here ... speaker and movie
Belinda said…
Jane to Blanche in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane! :)Thank goodness for Google!

Blanche: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair.
Jane: But you *are*, Blanche! You *are* in that chair!

I read the book, too, when a teenager! Thanks friend, for bringing back a creepy story. And okay, now, what do my 50 points go towards?
Susan said…
Hey, I googled it too, but I didn't want to cheat! :)

Here's the Youtube link to that scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTtpDwrKaxo
Belinda said…
Well, it's all in the definition of cheating! :) Thanks for the You Tube link.
Marilyn Yocum said…
Loved this. I tried to post a response yesterday from another location, but was unsuccessful. Now that I'm back at my computer, I just had to return and say how much I enjoyed reading about Brenda's challenge. Truly enjoyed it. I was sitting with Mom when I read it and laughed, thinking about the burdens daughters sometimes face - SHE following Grandma who was a fabulous cook and gardener, and ME following her. Each story different.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family