Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

Proverbs 15:13 (New Living Translation)
13 A glad heart makes a happy face;
a broken heart crushes the spirit.

I went to the mall on the spur of the moment, intending to pop in and get something quickly. It was the week before school started and it looked busy. On top of that, with a great sense of timing, the front parking lot of the mall was being repaved, so whole sections of it were cordoned off. Driving in I squeezed my car past various pieces of construction equipment and made my way to the edge of the parking lot where I found a little oasis of concrete with nothing going on. I noticed a few pylons, but didn't pay too much attention to them.

Half an hour later, I returned to find my car surrounded by machinery and a construction crew. You know when you come upon a group of people who are waiting for you...they have a certain air...There was a short, stockily built Italian man who seemed to be in charge. He looked at me in amazement and said, "Lady, is this your car?"

There was no point in denying it so I said, "Yes, I'm so sorry. Wasn't I supposed to park here?"

"The pylons are here for a reason you know," he said. He didn't need to emphasize it quite so much, I thought.

What could I say? "It must be the blond hair," I said, and laughed. I was relieved that he was laughing too now.

I made the mistake of telling Brenda about this little incident a couple of nights later when she asked me to go clothing shopping with her. She kept bursting into laughter at the thought of it. I thought she took it a bit far when she bought an orange sweater and said, "It's Pylon orange Mom."

I was comforted by my daughter-in-law Sue this afternoon when she joined me in the league of champion nut cases. I was showing her the beautiful hand made Cree Tamarack bird that Paul brought back from his trip last week to James Bay. It is a life sized decoy Canada Goose fashioned out of twigs. It sat on my coffee table on its three twig legs, and Sue said, "Why does it have three legs?"

I explained that it wouldn't balance on two twigs, and the third one was for balance. She said, "But shouldn't it have four?" Which was when I burst out laughing!

"This is going on your blog tonight isn't it?" she said. I'm still laughing as I think of four legged geese flying overhead!

I have a small collection of similar wacky moments. I remember challenging a group of people to a race to the top of a hill with the words, "First one to the top buys dinner." Yeah! And they still let me out alone. :)

Proverbs 15:15 (New Living Translation)
15 For the despondent, every day brings trouble;
for the happy heart, life is a continual feast.

Comments

Susan said…
Not to worry, Belinda. Everyone knows you would have bought dinner anyway, even if you were the last one to the top!
It's wonderful to laugh and when you are predisposed to see the humour ... life is so much better. And anyone who thinks Hamlet is a laugh riot is going to live a good quality of life!!
Belinda said…
Laughter truly is an amazing gift. And as for Hamlet, I still maintain that Shakespeare was laughing too, when he had people dropping like flies left, right and centre at the end.

Now tag team wrestling--that will be really funny and if I went I would probably be asked to leave for causing a disturbance.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family