Nothing for the Journey

Mark 6:8-9 (New International Version)
8 These were his instructions: "Take nothing for the journey except a staff—no bread, no bag, no money in your belts. 9Wear sandals but not an extra tunic.

These words reminded me of the total dependance on God that must be my life from this point on if I am truly to LIVE. I choose this and no other way. I take nothing else for the journey but my Saviour--my staff--on whom I lean.

I make no other provision but him. He must be my only hope and source of sustenance.

Luke 10:38-42 (New International Version)
38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
41"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but only one thing is needed.
Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Take nothing for the journey

Only one thing is needed

Mary has chosen what is better

I choose with Mary: Him...

Comments

The Martha and Mary story has always bothered me. I get what Jesus was saying but I also get what Martha was saying. Someone's gotta prepare the chips and dip, someone's got to replenish the peanuts, someone's got to make sure that everyone's drink is refreshed. It's fine to say that sitting and listening and learning is best. But someone's got to ... if Martha had sat down and that group of men had grown hungry and restless I'm guessing they'd be breaking up the meeting to get some grub. There are Mary's and there are Martha's and I'm guessing the story reads differently depending on which one of these two women you identify with. I know I'll get skewered for this but I've always felt, deep down, that Jesus could have called this one better ....
Belinda said…
Dear Friend, you won't get skewered here. But this is my take: I don't think you are alone in your, "But--but Jesus!" :)

I think that through the centuries people have inwardly thought that Jesus was unreasonably hard on poor Martha--Martha the hospitable.

Now I'm seeing it differently: Look who was there: Jesus. Those men had walked with him, talked with him, hung out and asked questions to their heart's content. It was a few days before he was going to Jeruslem to be crucified--a fact he had made very clear to his inner circle, most of whom were in denial. This was a group of men who knew how to live rough and fend for themselves. Jesus had said to them when they were faced with huge crowds of people, "You feed them."

It seems to be a few women who really got it, who lavishly wasted jars of costly ointment by pouring it over him--"wasting" the resource of money. A woman who withstood the pressure to "do," and sat at his feet to drink in every word he had to say, "wasting" the resource of time.

Jesus was counter culture, counter intuitive. But always in everything, there was a deep truth to dig out in statements that make us say, "Huh?"

Thanks for giving voice to your objection because it helped me to dig deeper. You may still not agree, but you made me think harder--on a Sunday morning too.
Susan said…
Simple and profound. Lots and lots to think about with the comments, too. thankyou!
Angcat said…
Hi Dave,
Just a thought about your comment. I've said that too, many times, because by nature, I'm a Martha.

Yet, tonight, as I sit exhausted by too much doing, I know that the only replenishing place is at His feet.

I wonder if Martha, had she taken some time to sit by Him too, mightn't have been so overwhelmed by the tasks to do. She might have got what was necessary done after, with a restful and thankful heart, instead of a restless, anxious heart.
And if those hungry men started to complain, I'm willing to bet that Jesus would have had a loving caution for them, as he restored Martha and Mary's hearts.

I love the verse that says "They that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength."

LORD, help me learn to wait...

Ang

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family