The Balance

*Proverbs 25:20 (The Message)
20 Singing light songs to the heavyhearted is like pouring salt in their wounds.

It is tempting to read the Bible selectively, picking out favourite passages to read or memorize, especially when they confirm a point I want to make, but balance is found in the whole picture, not isolated sections.

And so, this week, as I determine to shine light on my path and that of others, trying to take myself less seriously; I feel I need to give some balance--because it's there in God's Word.

Proverbs 25:20 reminds me to be sensitive to someone who is struggling through a dark tunnel. Their need may be for someone to sit with them or simply listen, or to give space so that they can work things through. They don't need someone urging them to laughter or to count their blessings.

Somewhere this week I heard laughter referred to as "carbonated holiness." I loved that! It's one of the tools in God's toolbox.

Love compels me to learn to choose my tools carefully.

1 John 3:18-20 (The Message)
18-20My dear children, let's not just talk about love; let's practice real love. This is the only way we'll know we're living truly, living in God's reality. It's also the way to shut down debilitating self-criticism, even when there is something to it. For God is greater than our worried hearts and knows more about us than we do ourselves.

The Message (MSG)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

Comments

Meg said…
Short and sweet and timely, Belinda. There is so much more to say, isn't there? And so much is about balance. That is a biggie for me, always.
Susan said…
How did God bring that particular verse to your mind? I spent hours looking for that verse this week. I couldn't find it anywhere. Well, I'm glad God showed it to you... because now I have it! (And don't need it anymore.)

:o)
Belinda said…
Hi Susan,
It was in the one of the chapters I was reading from Proverbs for The Marathon of Biblical Proportions. I liked how Eugene Peterson's The Message interpreted it.

When I read it, of course I thought of you, and it did its work in me! :) I'm glad you don't need it anymore! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family