Samson Beaver and his Family
I first posted this in 2009, a little show and tell about one of my favourite photographs. Back then it hung on a wall, but now it's in my bathroom where I see it every morning! I'd forgotten the history behind the story, researched when I first posted this and thought that current readers might enjoy it--a story from a time when this land was still being discovered, not so very long ago. This photograph was taken by Mary Schaffer; artist, photographer, writer and naturalist, in 1907. It is of a Stoney Indian named Samson Beaver, with his wife Leah and daughter, Frances Louise. I bought the photo on a postcard, on a trip to British Columbia and it hangs framed, on the wall I face when sitting at my laptop. I love it. Don't you just feel as if you could gather Frances Louise up in your arms and cuddle her? I get a deep sense of peace and happiness when I look at this family, sitting in the grass of a long ago fall. They are dressed in their best, beautiful c...


Comments
It's a marvel to me that people have time to celebrate at all in this season of madness. (I was at the mall today. Yikes!)
When those who love you make the effort to ensure you have a real birthday celebration at this time of year, when so many other things compete for their attention, you KNOW you're loved!
Right?
Blessings on your day, Friday!
It's a marvel to me that people have time to celebrate at all in this season of madness. (I was at the mall today. Yikes!)
When those who love you make the effort to ensure you have a real birthday celebration at this time of year, when so many other things compete for their attention, you KNOW you're loved!
Right?
Blessings on your day, Friday!