The Hospitality of God

John 13:3-5 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

3Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; 4 so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. 5After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

A while ago I was thinking a lot about the subject of hospitality, particularly God's hospitality - his example - the God who welcomes us.

We read in John 14:2, "In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you."

He anoints our head with oil and spreads a table before us! God creates a place of welcome for us, treats us as an honoured guest; how much more should we do so for one another. I think it pleases him when we reflect this part of who he is to each other, showing honour, courtesy, kindness and graciousness in our dealings with one another.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to be like the woman who poured the expensive perfume over your feet in my interactions with those around me, for you tell us that what we do to others, we do to you. Help me be lavish in my love of others, as you are lavish in your love for us.


Psalm 23:5 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society


5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family