Whatever He Says

Psalm 32:8-10 (New International Version)
8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.
9 Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you.
10 Many are the woes of the wicked, but the LORD's unfailing love surrounds the man who trusts in him.

John 2:5 (New King James Version)
5 His mother said to the servants, “Whatever He says to you, do it.”

A short while ago someone asked me to tell them the story of my journey with God. They wondered at the fact that although I didn’t grow up in a family that went to church, I heard and responded to the call of God from early childhood. My father lost whatever faith he had somewhere along the way but my mother told me about Jesus, passing on her simple faith. And the hymns I heard daily in our school assemblies contained enough theology for any receptive heart to grasp and grow by. Whenever I heard God speak, my heart leapt to respond.

After telling my story to this friend, one key theme lingered in my thoughts - saying “Yes” to God. If I could leave behind only one piece of wisdom it would be to echo the words of Jesus’ mother in John 2:5, “Whatever He says to you, do it.” In those seven simple words is the secret of a life of joy, adventure and intimate friendship with God.

Prayer:
Dear Lord, my heart leaps in response to you like the baby in Elizabeth’s womb when her pregnant cousin Mary visited her (Luke 1:41). I hunger for an ever more intimate walk with you. Make me more and more sensitive to your Holy Spirit’s promptings so that I miss no opportunity to say “Yes” to you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family