Skip to main content

Recent Adventures

Our daughter-in-law Sue, and Paul, are kindred spirits in that they are both undeterred by things that others might deem impossible, and set out to do them by sheer force of will. 

Sue was helping us get our house ready for listing by painting the outside of the extension at the back. The day that she and Paul built the heavy rented scaffolding to the height needed to reach the peak at the edge of the roof of our house, and Sue had to stand on the scaffolding and reach up with her brush and roller was scary. 

Even she admitted to nervousness and sat on the edge of the scaffolding, dangling her legs while looking down, like an Olympic diver psyching herself up on a diving board. 

"Don't worry, I have four children," was the most encouraging thing she had to say.

Paul had tied down the scaffolding on either side, bought her a harness, and attached a rope to the harness. He then tied the rope around his waist. I could only think of how we can't even stand on a chair to change a light bulb at work under our health and safety policy. I could not even speak to them or watch. Paul didn't want me to either. This was one of the "short days" I mentioned in my previous post.  I forced myself to check now and then in case they were both dangling in mid air on opposite side of the scaffolding. 

Sue lived to paint another day, and I was so grateful.

It was one of those rare days during this frenzy of painting when Sue got home before dark. She'd been working so hard painting the outside of our house. 

She was home for a bit when she noticed that she hadn't seen one of their cats for a while. "Where's Ditto?" she asked.

A search of the house ensued, culminating with the discovery that the screen on the kitchen screen door, had been pushed through and was flapping gently in the breeze.

This was the start of five hours of panic and pandemonium. Our youngest granddaughter, Claire, 8, began to sob uncontrollably and inconsolably and could be heard through the windows, wailing at the top of her lungs. The only way Sue could get her to stop was to tell her to pray for Ditto, which made her gulp back back her shuddering sobs and beseech God to help them find him.

Elizabeth, 16, deals with things gone wrong by yelling at everyone at random, which she began to do with intensity.

Three hours later, at 8.00 p.m. Pete arrived home from work and joined the search--while Elizabeth yelled at him too. 

They searched the streets nearby and made posters to put up in the neighbourhood. Dark was falling fast, and Ditto, a black cat, was still nowhere to be found. Claire was still praying.

Outside Andrew was down in the ravine on their property, in bare feet, stumbling over stumps and buzzed by bugs. Elizabeth joined him, down in the dark bushes.

Pete was by the garden shed when he told everyone to be quiet and listen. Sure enough, there was a faint tinkle of the bell that Ditto wears for good reason. 

Scared by the commotion, and chased by Andrew, he ran from behind the shed to beneath the deck, while Elizabeth emerged from the ravine, scratching a rash that was appearing on her body and a raised area below one eye that must have been brushed by a leaf.

Ditto was retrieved from beneath the deck and brought inside to face the music. 

This photo, taken by Pete, is the real reason I had to tell the story. It is so classic. :) 

Thanks for sharing in Ditto's adventure. :)


Anonymous said…
I had to laugh. How like a cat - who really wonders why his human family is all in a dither. It's summer, he is enjoying it. Chill! Funny how we kick everything into high gear when it comes to our furry friends. After such events you are torn into two - hugging them or strangling them - the little dears! So glad the event had a happy ending. Let's hope he doesn't live up to his name and pull a ditto. :-)
Belinda Burston said…
Ha ha! A ditto would not be good. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Just Joy!

Our family has a standing date for Sunday dinner on the first Sunday of every month. Not that we don't see each other at any other time, but we all know that particular Sunday is pretty much for sure--and I look forward to it so much--the front door bursting open and our house being filled once more with the voices and vibrancy of six grandchildren and their parents. 

This week Spero, Brenda's new Australian Shepherd puppy came too, and met his extended family, leaving Molson at home to have a rest! He was duly adored by all of us.

He came with a dazzling array of toys and is proving a fast learner, already sitting on command and responding to Tori's training. I was so impressed at her technique of quickly rewarding a turnaround from any slight naughtiness with praise for "good sitting," or "good" any other desirable behaviour! 

Tippy had her hair cut stunningly and bravely short the day before; making a statement about who she is as a unique individual, o…

The Secret Adventures of Susan's Scottish Scarf

By Belinda (with a lot of help from Susan :))
I was saying goodnight to her at the front door this week when she told me. There was apparently more to the scarf around her neck than I knew. 
The scarf had been a gift from me for Susan's birthday on Tuesday December 18th. It had been her 60th; and that day I had treated her to lunch to celebrate. 
We met at a tiny restaurant, Port Soiree, in Schomberg,near her office. It was a restaurant neither of us had been to before and it turned out to be a gem, with artsy ambiance, amazing food, wonderful service and modest pricing. In other words, it was perfect!