To be Asked or Not to be Asked

By Belinda

It was my first day back in the office and I was in a frenzy of purging. I called our District Office in Huntsville to ask our Systems Manager, Gloria, if I could shred some of the old files that I'd found.

"Happy New Year Gloria!" I began.

"Happy New Year Belinda," she replied, "And you don't look a day over 50!"

It is always a sweet surprise to find that anyone out there actually reads anything you write. She made me laugh out loud at the incongruity of an odd opening greeting that made total sense to me.

As I enjoyed grumbling on about the sales clerk's secret hatchet job on my self esteem (see yesterday's post,) Gloria told me about a friend of hers, only in her forties, who was actually asked by the sales clerk at Shoppers Drug Mart if she qualified for the senior's discount. Wow--I gasped at that! I don't know what is worse--to be asked or not to be asked. Those poor clerks, they don't get paid enough for this weighty responsibility and no matter what they do they just can't win. How their fingers must tremble as they hover over the discount key and the beads of sweat break out on their foreheads as they wonder if they should ask....or not.

Now I think Gloria's friend should have answered, "I don't know, do I?" because I have been trying to find out online, without success, what the magic age is. Well, perhaps that's just as well. As long as I can believe it is 55 I will be happy!

And my list of the benefits of aging is now growing. Here is the modified list:
1. Seniors' discounts. 


2. People worry about you, look after you and treat you as though you are more fragile than you feel.


3.. You don't feel compelled to do things for the wrong reasons--to please other people for instance, or because you feel guilty saying no.

4. There are a lot fewer mistakes left to make.


5. Grandchildren (Susan.)



6. You can get away with things (people indulge you because you are "old.") (Brave Raven)


7. If you are wearing incontinence products you can laugh until you wet your pants--and you won't. Everything does have its upside. :)
8. You can justifiably claim that you "can't remember a thing."

I just had to share this, from Dave in the comment section.
Belinda, my grandmother, who I loved dearly once said something that still makes me laugh. She was a devout Christian and when she turned 70 she said to me, on the phone, 'I looked in the mirror today, I've learned that though my heart has been travelling towards heaven, my face has gone to hell.' 
 I so relate! :)

Comments

Belinda, I think you should add that I said that I had just seen you and that your face was clearly on the same path as your heart. Heavenly that is!
Belinda said…
Oh, Dave, if it is, that is only God's grace and in spite of my own face! And that is not false humility! :)Those who live with me can attest to that. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family