A Last Bastion Falls

By Belinda

"Time at home," what a gift that is! I have treasured every minute of it over the past several days and as a result of this best of all therapies, I am starting a brand new year more relaxed and refreshed than I have felt in a while.

I am afraid though, that while I was plugging away at a new lean and mean budget for 2012 yesterday evening, and sorting out all of my Christmas shopping receipts, I was stripped of one delusion. It was time I faced the truth but still it was hard seeing it there on the Shoppers Drug Mart receipt in black and white. I looked at it again to make sure I was seeing correctly, but yes indeed I was. Some sweet young thing had given me the seniors' discount. Automatically. And she didn't even have the tact to ask if I qualified!

There's no denying it I am over 60 and my body tells me that it's so. Now I just need to come to terms with the fact that I also look it! I just never imagined this happening to ME. :)

To cope I'm going to think of all the benefits of arriving at this stage of life and I'm going to celebrate and enjoy them to the full.

1. Seniors' discounts--I could grow to like them.
2. People worry about you. (I tripped and fell while waving and looking backwards and not where I was going when I was visiting somewhere just before Christmas. I was fine but the news spread embarrassingly fast and several people were concerned. That was nice.)
3.. You don't feel compelled to do things for the wrong reasons--to please other people for instance, or because you feel guilty saying no.
4. There are a lot fewer mistakes left to make.
5. Okay, I'm thinking really hard, but nothing else is coming. I need your help my friends. What else is good about being old(er?)

Additions:
6. Grandchildren--supplied by Susan (not the grandchildren--the idea! I can't believe I didn't think of that one. Grandchildren are a great gift that come with aging.)

Comments

Susan said…
Grandchildren.
Janet Sketchley said…
Belinda, maybe we're concerned about you because you're sweet, not because of any perceived frailty...

Great list! I especially like the discounts and the reduced number of available mistakes.
Belinda said…
Thank you Janet! :)
Belinda said…
Janet--I guess that makes me a "sweet senior." Ohhhh! :)

Ah well, it's better than being a sour one. :)
Brave Raven said…
People help you carry things and cross the street. You can also dress as funky as you want and nobody will say anything. I once worked with an older lady (close to 70) who used to pinch the bums of my male co-workers. No one dared protest "because she was old." Not that I'm advocating that. The point I'm making is you get away with things.
Belinda said…
Ha ha, Brave Raven! Now how do I word that one in my list? :)Well, maybe just as you put it, "You can get away with things!" I love it!
Belinda, my grandmother, who I loved dearly once said something that still makes me laugh. She was a devout Christian and when she turned 70 she said to me, on the phone, 'I looked in the mirror today, I've learned that though my heart has been travelling towards heaven, my face has gone to hell.' I laughed now, typing this. She was, what they call, a 'pistol'. I loved her dearly and can still hear her laughing. I can tell you, having seen you days ago, that your face is still very, very heavenly - so little worry there.

No pinching bottoms though, intrusion is never cute - we know that from the work we do.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family