The Results Cycle

By Belinda

Today I took Fierce Accountability training for the second time. The first time was with my peer team earlier this year; this time it was with the team I am privileged to lead.

How great to have a reason to take it twice, because the principles got worked in even better the second time.

The training talks about a "results cycle." It starts with CONTEXT then goes on to ASSESSMENT; EMOTIONS; BEHAVIOUR and RESULTS.


I thought a lot about the importance of context, which was defined as: opinions; truths; beliefs and attitudes. I realized the importance of spending adequate time clarifying context; examining my opinions; truths; beliefs and opinions and assessing them for accuracy.


In a recent situation I had a faulty context which determined my behaviour and end result. Not spending sufficient time ensuring that my context was solid caused a faulty result.

I've learned how important it is to ask questions; listen deeply and assess accurately, possibly by taking time to observe directly. Because I haven't done these things well, I have made faulty judgements based on wrong assumptions. 


The first of the 7 principles of  Fierce Leadership is MASTER THE COURAGE TO INTERROGATE REALITY.  Look at all of the evidence, not just that which confirms your existing biases. 


I made a note in the margin of my book, "Pharisees--blind guides." 

24 You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel. (Matthew 23:24, New International Version, ©2011)
Those words could describe me sometimes. I feel some compassion for these blunderers of the Bible because their problem has been my problem; not establishing a foundation of clarity from which to work. If they had only taken time, with an open heart and mind to interrogate reality, they would have seen who Jesus was. 


There was a quote in the text book by Albert Einstein:
Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
 I love that last part: In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity. It fills me with hope.

Comments

mercygraceword said…
Belinda,
I was at another agency for a meeting the other day and noted a particular sign on the wall:
"Optimism - the difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is how you use them." Another way of saying the same thing I think - but it stuck with me.

Deborah
Belinda said…
That is a great quote Deborah, and encouraging too. Thank you! :)
Susan said…
So glad we're in this together...

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family