Cultivating Thankfulness

Colossians 3:15 (New International Version, ©2011)

 15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
By Belinda

On our trip to Israel I took Ann Voskamp’s book, One Thousand Gifts. As you will know from our itinerary, time for reading was scarce, but the plane journey each way was 11 hours! I  began the discipline of writing down my list of one thousand gifts as soon as I got home.

Last night Tippy and Tori had supper with us as Brenda was late coming home. I couldn't wait to tell them about my little journal. Their eyes sparkled with interest as I shared what it was and told them how Ann came to start her own list of One Thousand Gifts. I read them my list, that began:

1)  Coming "home."
2) A "welcome home" email.
3) Children who return for "one more hug," again and again."...

And I asked them, "Would you like to your own gratitude journals?"

Two heads nodded! I went to my drawer upstairs of future gifts and found two little note books in turquoise and brown with a little flap that folded over to close them magnetically and put them into their waiting hands. They began right away. I made it onto Tippy's list three times: "Great" grandparents: Omie's cooking; Omie's heart of love.

As I chopped and sliced vegetables for our salad, two young heads bowed in concentration, writing down thanksgiving upon thanksgiving until they were out-thanking me.

My number 22: "Two granddaughters, cultivating thankfulness."

Colossians 3:17 (The Message)


 15-17Let the peace of Christ keep you in tune with each other, in step with each other. None of this going off and doing your own thing. And cultivate thankfulness.


100huntley.com - Having An Attitude Of Gratitude -- Ann Voskamp -- 1/2
100huntley.com - Having An Attitude Of Gratitude -- Ann Voskamp -- 2/2

Comments

Brave Raven said…
It's great that you're teaching them the art of quiet reflection. That's where thankfulness lives.
Anonymous said…
months go by and i realized how long its been since i sat down and took inventory of what i am thankful for. i have been given so many wonderful gifts. i will check out the book, i can always use a reminder.
here's some of my list ... Belinda's blog, Belinda's pies, Belinda's eyes, Belinda's laugh, Belinda's attitude of welcome ... I'm grateful for all who bring light into my life! And you are definately one of the 100 watt-ers!
Belinda said…
What a blessing to come home to these comments.
# 23 on my list was "Kettle boiling water for tea after work."
and
# 24 was, "Comments on the blog." :)

Dave, you are one of the 100 watt-ers in my life too. Big hug flying your way!

And Lizzie, you will love Ann's book. It has inspired me to go beyond my status quo in gratitude.

Brave Raven, dear friend, it was such joy to have those two little gratitude disciples taking on the challenge with such enthusiasm.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family