Things I have heard

By Belinda

This morning a post based on a previous post from 2007, which I hope makes you smile as it did me, when I reread it:

Although I talk far too much, I really do prefer listening and often find myself reaching for a pen to write down something funny, wise, or thought provoking, that someone else has said.

I thought it would be fun to start the week by sharing a few things I have heard; wise and funny; ending with a quote from the book of Luke that makes me laugh every time I read it--God has the best humour.

"We are all "under the gun"--in a very positive way, as far as guns go."

“Is everybody in the right place? My father once went to Miami when he meant to go to New York. He thought the flight was rather long.”

(I appreciated this since I once joined the wrong meeting, which quickly became apparent when introductions were made and everyone was from a different field of work to me)

“I assume we’re not here to maintain status quo.” (I think that just struck me as so exciting!)

Someone walked into her first meeting after having had a cataract operation. When asked how she was, she said, “I’ve got new eyes, it’s dazzlingly beautiful. I didn’t know what I wasn’t seeing!”

"Don't worry about the past--worry about the future." (Very encouraging)

"I want to be like Jesus, but in the meantime I want to be like my dad." What greater tribute could a dad have?

A quote from Pete, our son, on the art of communication (his wife Sue has trained him well): "If you're going down the conversation highway and you see that the destination isn't one you want, take an off-ramp."

Finally, this is Jesus speaking, after rising on the third day after being crucified and meeting two disciples on the road to Emmaus, who did not recognize him.

Luke 24:17-18 The Message (MSG)
by Eugene H. Peterson
17-18 He asked, "What's this you're discussing so intently as you walk along?"
They just stood there, long-faced, like they had lost their best friend. Then one of them, his name was Cleopas, said, "Are you the only one in Jerusalem who hasn't heard what's happened during the last few days?"

Comments

Theresa said…
I have a book of quotes I have collected over time. One of my faves has always been "Don't worry about the world ending today, it's already tomorrow in Australia." :)

Love the quote about being under the gun. Gotta add that to my book.
And had to laugh about you being in the wrong meeting...too funny!
Belinda said…
Hi Theresa,
Thanks for the wonderful quote about it being tomorrow in Australia. That's hilarious and very reassuring.

My personal favourite in the list is the quote from Luke. I giggle every time I read that story as I imagine the quiet joke Jesus was having with the two sad disciples.
conversation off ramp ... I like that a lot!
Anonymous said…
Those are so insightful. I'll need to pay more attention to those around me.
Belinda said…
Yes, Tim,every conversation is grist for the writing mill. :)
Belinda

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family