A Tall Blonde Answer to Prayer.

by Susan

"How do I get myself into these things?"

How often I ask myself that question!

You'd think I'd learn. But I don't. At least not up until now.

My latest caper was to decide to invite some co-workers to our church to watch an all day web-cast seminar which is related to the job we do. It seemed like such a good idea at the time! We'll just meet at the church, I thought to myself. I'll make coffee and we can all brown-bag it. It'll be simple!

Simple! Hah!

I guess when I hear those words I should stop myself right there in my tracks. It's never simple. Never. Ever. (Unless somebody else does it.)

Calling Brenda at the church (yes, that's Belinda's daughter) and arranging for a day's use of the sanctuary was not at all difficult. She made it as easy as anyone could imagine it to be. And the rest? Well, I could run over to the church the day before and make sure everything is set up and running okay. I can pick up some water and maybe some juice on the way home. Then the next morning -the day of the seminar - I'll get there a bit early to make coffee and - Voila! - it's a "seminar in a box all unpacked for human use".

Sounds simple, but I just couldn't make it over to the church today. There was just too much "stuff" and too little time to fit it all in. I have no idea how to run the sound system or hook up my computer so that is projected onto the big screen. So I am sitting here on my couch at 1:17 a.m., trying not to panic, and trying to figure out how I'm going to pull this off.

Belinda was kind enough to hand me a few bottles of water as I left her house after cell tonight. And three cans of pop. Not much, but it's a start. Not much of a start. Just a teeny tiny little start.

I have been half-heartedly praying off and on all day. Not really a prayer, just a few desperate "God, help me!" kinds of prayers that probably don't really count as prayers at all.

Or do they?

Probably not, but God has such infinitudinally (that's not a word, but I ain't stopping to find the right one) limitless amounts of grace and mercy that I should not have been surprised when it all fell into place.

Joel.

Thank God for my youngest son. Just as I was settling into the couch, I could hear his step in the hallway and he appeared at the door of the parlour.

"Joel!"

It was more than a greeting. It was great big light bulb going off in my head! Could it be that my problems would be over?

"Whatcha doing tomorrow?," I asked hopefully, while not daring to hope.

"I have to be at work at 10:00..." His voice trailed off at the look of "Aha!" which had taken over my face.

"Perfect!" I said. I quickly explained my predicament and asked him if he owed me any favours. "Cause if you do, I'm calling them all in! NOW!"

So Joel is now coming to the church with me in the morning. While I pick up coffee, he's going to go in and set the video/computer system up for me. Then he's going to test it all to make sure it workds. Then he's going to go to work.

No-one knows how great the sigh of relief that escaped my lips this night. My worries are over! Joel was home.

I knew I had kids for a reason!

Thankyou Father, for laying out my path before me. Thank you for sending Joel along just when I needed him. Thank you that I don't have to figure out how to use that sound system all on my own. No-one knows how grateful I am... Sigh! Zzzzzzzzzz......

Comments

Marilyn Yocum said…
I think 'caper' is a great word, maybe a title for your eventual collection of these tales. :-)

Re: "infinitudinally" I am a firm believer in made-up words that get the work done!

- Marilyn Yocum
Deidra said…
I love your made-up word. I can't pronounce it, but I love it!
Belinda said…
Oh, thank the Lord for Joel. And for sons in general, and anyone else who has the parts that are missing from us! :)God is good and I am glad he rescued you Susan. I'm imagining you all enjoying the day right at this moment.
Belinda, it took me a second to understand what you were saying in your first statement ... I'm afraid you put an odd picture in my mind!
Belinda said…
Dave, stop it! You made me laugh yet again! I might just have to arch an eyebrow. Ha ha! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family