Holy Boldness

by Susan

She's a half-grown kitten, a calico, with some very unique markings. I've never been a cat person, but I have to admit that she is pretty cute. And since grandson Mikey loves her, well that's all it took for her to be welcomed into my world too. Today she wormed herself right into my heart. It didn't take much, really. I saw her curled up in one of the chairs in the living room fast asleep. I went over to stroke her soft fur and immediately, with eyes still closed and without so much as twitching a muscle, she began to purr. I sat down in the chair next to her, pushed it back into a semi-reclining position, and picked up my laptop. A minute or two later she was crawling up my pantleg and settling herself across my knees. I couldn't see her because the laptop screen was in the way, but I could feel the warm and gentle pressure of her tiny body against my legs . A few minutes later, as I was pecking away at the keys, she walked up my arm and laid down in the softest place she could find - right across my bosom. I smiled at her audacity as I began to stroke her and the little purring machine instantaneously started up again. She was soon fast asleep and stayed there for a good long while as I continued my work.

It's been quite a week or two, with all kinds of things happening in my life which have required all sorts of adjustments. It's been a time of upheaval and change on many fronts. Our home is in the middle of renovations, as are some of my closest relationships and even at work there is some major shifting in the works as I figure out how to make room in my already cramped schedule for a whole new set of responsibilities. These are exciting times of change and challenge and growth and I wouldn't have it any other way.

But that doesn't mean that I know how all of this is going to work or settle out. I've had plenty of opportunity to entertain a host of doubts and fears, if that's what I would choose to do. Instead, though, I want to be like that kitten, able to search out and land softly in a place of rest and recuperation, getting ready for each new burst of energy that will be required over the next while. I want to climb up on Father's knee when there is time for rest, but not stop there. I want to boldly find that place in the shadow of his wing, that place where I can actually hear the beating of his heart...

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. 16Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:14-16 (NASB)

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
Psalm 91:1-4 (NASB)

Comments

Belinda said…
What a beautiful portrait of peace, that little kitten. What is his or her name?

Thank you for this word picture. I so enjoyed it.
Janet Sketchley said…
A purr-fect illustration, Susan. (sorry, couldn't help that!)

The kitten's example is definitely one to follow! Thanks for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family