God En-fleshed

John 1:14 (New International Version)
14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

A few nights ago, a dappled ivory moon hung luminous, large, and round in a clear evening sky. I thought of the same moon shining down an ocean away over England, where my mum, and brother Rob live.

When I went there in October, it was to visit with them, but the time away was also spiritually refreshing.

Mum and Rob live simply. I can be driven by materialism. Because I would have felt embarrassed at my natural selfishness being exposed in obvious contrast, I bought things for others and not so much myself, and felt better.

Their lives have a quiet, regular rythm, where mine can be excessively active and short on sleep. I knitted and read and uncoiled my soul and felt better.

I was really there to be with them, but my compulsive need to communicate with friends and the rest of the world, can take precious time away at library computers and internet cafes. I went days without running to a computer and focused on simply being where I was, and although at times I struggled to do that, I felt better.

I memorized some short scripture passages and I'm adding to them still, so that slowly but surely I am hiding his Word in my heart.

I watched my mum and admired the beauty of her soul, a soul that radiates unselfish love, and I thought about the beauty of God's love and how I long for that to flow from me.

I thought about being clothed with kindness, compassion, humility, gentleness and patience, as Jesus was.

I wrote this note in my journal:
October 2008; the start of the year of fruitfulness and the shedding of the leaves of old habits that have hung on long enough and are no longer wanted: Greed, extravagance, sloth and selfishness.

The journey continues and I have leaves that still need to drop off, but my confidence is in him.

Lord, may I en-flesh you in this day, as you were robed in flesh when you first came to earth.

May your glory shine through the windows of my fleshly temple and all of the fullness of your grace and truth fill the rooms within.

John 17:23 (New International Version)
23 I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

Ezekiel 43:2 (New International Version)
2 and I saw the glory of the God of Israel coming from the east. His voice was like the roar of rushing waters, and the land was radiant with his glory.

Comments

Joyful Fox said…
Some deep thoughts and vulnerable confessions. Thanks again. I love Jesus that I see in you. It blesses, encourages, and inspires me so much.

Right now I feel I live such an encumbered life. Simple sounds good but I'm not really doing anything to make mine that way. Thus my cold hangs on, and my energy is zapped for the 4th straight week. i still sound like a frog lives in my throat and I'm ready for him to take up residence somewhere else.

Thanks for your post and for yielding to His work in your life.
Angcat said…
Dear B.,
I think I want to move to that place...is it only in England, or in our hearts.
I realize that half the busyness is media related. It's fun and very compelling, but is also the thing that often stands in the way of me giving my family the complete attention they need..ie..email, internet and blog reading.

If I was able to sequester this to a specific place in my day and then turn it off, I would be more attentive to the things that matter, like relationships with those I love.
Thanks for this. You have made me think.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family