Whatever...

Titus 3:1-2 (New International Version)
1Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, 2to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.

"Whatever..."

We hear the word these days as a dismissive expression, indicating a distinct lack of interest on the part of the speaker, in the subject at hand.

This morning it caught my eye in Titus 3 but had the opposite effect.

I had just read a note at the end of Titus saying that the letters of Paul to Titus and Timothy are his last writings and mark the end of his life and ministry. I am interested in what a great person has to say at the end of their life and so I was looking closely.

Of course, this name and thrust of this blog is based on John 2:5, another "whatever " verse.

"If I could leave behind only one piece of wisdom it would be to echo the words of Jesus’ mother, “Whatever He says to you, do it." Belinda, June 21 2006

Although I am sure that there are many other wonderful "whatevers" in the Bible, I leave you with one that comes to mind immediately, from Philippians:

Philippians 4:8-9 (Amplified Bible)
8For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].
9Practice what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and model your way of living on it, and the God of peace (of untroubled, undisturbed well-being) will be with you.


I'm thinking today of these "whatevers" and how I can build them into my life more faithfully; after all, that hero of the faith, Paul, wrote to Titus, whom he was mentoring:

Titus 3:8 (New International Version)
8... And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.

Comments

Joyful Fox said…
Belinda,

What beautiful verses and reminders. "Whatever" covers it all. Whatever He says, we will do it. And the verses in Philippianns. Those are verses to build our lives upon.

Thank you. I so needed to hear these words this morning.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family