Courage

Hebrews 13:12-13 (Amplified Bible)
Amplified Bible (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
12Therefore Jesus also suffered and died outside the [city's] gate in order that He might purify and consecrate the people through [the shedding of] His own blood and set them apart as holy [for God].
13 Let us then go forth [from all that would prevent us] to Him outside the camp [at Calvary], bearing the contempt and abuse and shame with Him.


Here is a little song that I wrote thirty years ago, based on these verses. I pray that it blesses someone today and encourages them not to be ashamed of bearing the name of Christ.

I ask for courage Lord,
That I might dare to go
Outside the city walls with thee,
And despised for thy sake be.
My weakness well you know,
I fear what men might say,
Please teach me how to bear your shame,
And be worthy of your Name.

Dear Lord you went for me,
Outside those walls so long ago,
My shame you suffered there for love,
That your blood might make me whole.
Don't let me now betray that love
--or value this world's vain applause,
But teach me how to bear your shame,
And be worthy of your Name.

****************************

Long ago, Jesus went outside the city walls and was crucified, an outcast, for our sake. He calls us now to come outside those walls with him...to be willing to be despised by the world for his sake.

Since I wrote these words I am older and more solid in my faith but I still care far too much for my reputation and far too little for my Lord's.

Dear Lord, I thank you for opportunities to die to the vestiges of pride that cling to my heart. Please train my heart to care only to bring glory to you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family