Sod Field Devotions

It’s early morning. I head out into the frosty air for my morning walk. My heart feels as heavy and as cold as the November dew on the sodden grass under my feet. I walk the perimeter of the sod field near our old farm-house. With every step, my heart lays wider open before God, pouring out my feelings to him, purposing not to ask him for anything today, but only to “be”. I am carrying my pocket Bible and about halfway around my circuit of the field, I feel impressed to stop and read. It opens to Psalm 63.

O, God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you. My body longs for you, in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water... …Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. My soul clings to you, your right hand upholds me…”

As I read, the Truth floods my soul and displaces any feelings of sadness and abandonment that had been attempting to creep in. I know who I am and more importantly, I remember Whose I am. I am overwhelmed with the goodness of God and at his ability to use his Word, not just to speak to my heart, but to instantly change my attitude.

I head into the day with a different perspective entirely than the one which would have had pre-eminence, had I missed that walk to the sod field with Father-God.

Comments

Belinda said…
I too, have had my knotted heart untangled by a few moments with it laid open before God.

How does that happen? I don't know. I only know that it does and that it is very, very good.

Thanks for a beautiful reminder to come before him for a morning shower.
Anonymous said…
IT IS MY BIRTHDAY ON THIS DAY AND THE LORD ALSO GAVE ME THAT SAME PSALM 63 TO READ THIS VERY MORNING. THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING GOD TO SHARE AND CONFIRM TO ME
SARAH

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family