The Antidote

Ephesians 5:3-5 (New International Version)
3 But among you there must not be…greed…but rather thanksgiving. 5 For of this you can be sure: No…greedy person—such a man is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

These mentions of greed are scattered among references to more obvious sins in Ephesians 5:3-5. It is one of the sins of our society in which we have more than previous generations would have ever dreamed of. What is it that keeps us hungering for more?

Our culture encourages greed and our economy runs on it. There is a never ending deluge of advertising flyers in our mailboxes. It is the “acceptable sin” of our day and we don’t even see it for what it is.

I realize that I have choices to make when I see that what is acceptable in our culture is not acceptable to God. There is ugliness to greed below the surface glitter.

The antidote to the disease of greed is thanksgiving--being grateful for the blessings of shelter, food and clothing; family and friends. When I focus on gratitude, I realize how very rich I am in things that cost little and yet are beyond price.

Isaiah 26:13 (New International Version)
O Lord, our God, other lords besides you have ruled over us, but your name alone do we honour.

Psalm 119:32 (New International Version)
I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.

Comments

Oddly, I was thinking about this myself this morning when I got up. There is much to be grateful for, things that don't cost but are beyond priceless. I think it was Oscar Wilde that said, "People these days know the cost of everything but the value of nothing." It's even truer today.
Belinda said…
Amen, my friend. Praise God this morning for all of his many benefits!
Leann said…
I like the verse that says.
"seek frist the kingom of God and all his rightusness and all these things shell be added on to you".
it says also that the heathen seek after these things. but if we seek him he gives us all things.
he doesnt mind us having things he just dont want the things having us.
have a great weekend.
God bless.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family