A Great Future

Writing became such a process of discovery that I couldn't wait to get to work in the morning: I wanted to know what I was going to say. - Sharon O'Brien

Labours of love--these are the things that we should lay down our lives for. Writing is my labour of love.

At the end of April it will be a year since God said to me, "Talk to nobody, before you talk to me." Since then I've been writing; following his lead, learning, growing, listening, sometimes wondering if anything I've said made sense--but mostly trusting God that it did.

In January God amazed me by opening up the opportunity to write a column for Maranatha News, a Cross-Cultural Evangelical Newspaper dedicated to serve the Christian community. I write the Canadian Authors column, which means that I have the exciting assignment of connecting with authors and interviewing them. What a joy. My heart sings at the gift God gave me in the writing of this column.

In March my first column was published and I waited anxiously, checking the Maranatha News website regularly to see if it was up there. The website was slow being updated and my insecurities started to dance! I thought that maybe my column was so bad that they didn't want to publish it but were too polite to say so. But about one week into March, the column was there! Friends celebrated with me. I have wonderful friends. Then the great day came when actual hard copies came and along with them, my very first payment for writing. I photographed the cheque--and even considered framing it--but I did cash it in the end!

When Victoria and Tiffany-Amber came home from school that day, I opened the newspaper to the page with the column, pointed to my name and asked them to read what it said. Their eyes grew wide as they recognized the name. Tiffany-Amber turned to me, pointed, and said, "You have a great future!" I felt as if I'd been crowned Queen.

God has an assignment for each soul on earth that will make his or her heart sing. Finding it and doing it is one of life's greatest joys. I don't know about a great future--but the present is wonderful.

Psalm 139:16-17 (New International Version)

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!

How vast is the sum of them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family